Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I've looked everywhere!

Default Help! I've looked everywhere!

I'm being driven to distraction here.

I've been searching for some sterling silver tube, but....it needs to be 9mm (outside dia.) and 6 or 7mm internal dia., giving a wall thickness of about 1mm or so.

It seems to be available in Australia and the States but not the UK, which I find unbelievable.

Does anyone know a supplier in the UK? Happy with most lengths (I'm that desperate!!!!)

I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers

Dave

Options...

1. Phone Cooksons and see if they have any.
    2. Draw down your own from 1mm sheet (if you can locate a suitably large drawplate)
    3. Get some 9mm rod and drill out - a lathe would be best, but not absolutely essential.

I'd also try Argex

Hi

Thanks for your quick replies.

Cooksons only go to 6mm outside as do Betts, Argex do it but the wall thickness is to thin (0.5). Loads of firms do it in the USA and Australia.

I'd love to have the skills to use a drawplate...but don't!! And I'd guess that drilling it would produce more scrap than finished product?

I'm going to have to find someone who can draw it down for me I guess......any offers????

Have you phoned them?

Scrap isn't the same as waste... It's reclaimable.

My drawplates don't go up that far; while I could make a new one for that diameter, it wouldn't be cost effective. For you anyway

Hi

Thanks Peter!

Yeah phoned them....they only do the stuff on their website. They did put me in touch with Betts Metals...but they just do the same sizes as Cookson (which is what you'd expect as they probably sources theirs from them).

So its off to the States I guess.

Hmm, that's changed. There used to be ring diameter tubing available if you knew to ask for it.

US sounds your sanest option then.

Is this ring tube from Argex no good. I have quite a bit of it but I can't measure the thickness at the moment. It's quite chunky though.

What about Bellore? http://www.bellore.co.uk/shop/925_Ro...e/srtu1.5.aspx

Annoyingly they do 8mm and 10mm od 1mm wall tubing but not 9mm. They do 9mm od with 0.5 wall. Could perhaps buy 9mm and line with 8mm?

Bettsmetals stock various sizes of tube (think I had 8mm), but there's a minimum length order I think, certainly worth giving them a call....http://www.bettsmetalsales.com....they only list up to 6mm silver tube, but I have certainly had bigger than that this year!! Telephone : 0121 233 2413

I'll try to remember to check what I have got left tomorrow!!