Thread: Hallmarking Blackened Items

Default Hallmarking Blackened Items

It has only just shown on my radar that there is a new trend: to blacken precious metals with a more durable coating, by electroplating with Ruthenium, Black Rhodium, or possibly by PVD (Physical Vapour Deposition) although I don't know what substance is applied for that.

My question to Steve LAO is would it be done before or after hallmarking? Many thanks, Dennis.

Interesting trend.. I use patina a lot and sometimes I would like a durable black finish to certain elements of a design, so that might come in handy. Interested to hear more about this, I'm sure there will be more on here about it!

Just a quick question for now, dont' want to hi-jack this thread... Can such treatments be applied with a simple pen plater or does it need more industrial type equipment?

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

We have items in for marking that are already "black" plated.....and others choose to plate afterwards....so either/or Dennis.

Thank you Steve.

Carin,this all started with a question by Hayley yesterday, when she asked for more information about home electroplating ruthenium. Her question implied that she had already researched it, but was not able to make it work.

George replied mentioning black Rhodium here http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6389

There is also a company which offers a service for plating with either http://www.dmjewellery.co.uk/contact-us/.

I'm afraid that is all I know so far. Some trends peter out, but I think this one is worth thinking about. Dennis

There are a number of the famous London "West End" jewellers who have been doing this for a while.....