Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What On Earth?

Default What On Earth?

Our project at college, set last term but carried over into the holiday, was to make a piece of jewellery on the topic of the universe, which immediately translated in my mind to ’Solar System.’

So here is my simplified and not very accurate depiction to be worn as a pendant. The orbits which are made from rectangular strip, reduce in height towards the centre, so giving a terraced look. The sawn edges are unfiled to add texture.

The planets are made from various semi-precious cabochons such as spessartine, sodalite, and rubies. Our earth is made from an opal triplet and the nearby moon from balled up wire. The sun at the centre is a citrine cabochon, with a faceted pavilion. I have avoided too much detail to avoid becoming over fussy, but there is also a ring around Saturn.

The stout braided chain from Bellore can be adjusted with a slider to be worn long or short. Pulling it over your head is not ideal, but seemed the best option for a length of 72cm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss Sun Mercury Venus Mars Earth Moon Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune..jpg   ss1 Solar System Neccklace.jpg   ss2 Pendant Detail.jpg  

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

A really god interpretation of the brief, but where are the asteroids?? 😄
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Beautiful as ever Dennis. What is the finished diameter? Was burnishing over the cabochons with others so close tricky?

Susie

Wow! I love that. What an excellent interpretation of the brief!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Anything to do with space and I'm smitten. Plus it's always handy to have a map on you ;-)
    I have some pieces of meteorite I want to use, but still waiting for inspiration to strike (hopefully with less catastrophic force).

That's very appealing, Dennis, and a sensitive piece of work.
    If you'd been able to source a citrine 5 metres in diameter the sun would have been to scale.

Very cool Dennis! Interpretation and execution excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    A really god interpretation of the brief, but where are the asteroids?? ��
    They're too small to see, but it's' more when than if.

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    What is the finished diameter? Was burnishing over the cabochons with others so close tricky? Susie
    The diameter of the pendant is 35mm and yes you're right Susie, the tube settings are not that well finished, partly because they are crowded, but also because they are sunken in an amphitheatre effect, which makes access more difficult. The stones are only 2-3mm in diameter, so luckily in real life they don't look too bad. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Plus it's always handy to have a map on you ;-)
    Well I'm waiting for an offer from Google maps. It's at least a accurate as one of theirs.