Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 925 Stamp

Question 925 Stamp

Hi
    I'm very new to all this, but before I get too far into making sterling silver items, I wonder if you can help me with the mechanics of stamping items under the 7.78gm assay limit? I have some little tags that are ready-stamped, but they are a bit clunky for some of the pieces I'm making, so I'd quite like to be able to stamp the 925 onto the flattened clasp of a necklace, for instance. However I can't find a stamp anywhere on the Cookson site - or anywhere else for that matter. I'm sure there must be one somewhere - any info anybody? Also - quite how does stamping work - can it be done by hammering, or does it need rather more than that?
    If this is a really dim question, forgive me, I'm still really feeling my way with all this, and wanting to run the marathon before I've taken a leisurely stroll, if you know what I mean!!
    Thank you - and isn't it wonderful that it's the weekend, at last I can spend 3 days making jewellery instead of feeling guilty that I'm not doing the work that pays my bills!
    Last edited by llamacat; 29-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

lol think we were yping at the same time lol
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Lol - thank you all very much! I knew it had to be there somewhere - I guess putting 925 stamp in the search engine was my problem - used the wrong terminology.
    Now my problem is - how do I know which one to choose? There isn't any info on how they work - can anyone give me any advice on that so I don't make the wrong choice? AS you can tell - I'm VERY much the newbie, but I don't want to go and get the wrong thing only to find out when it's too late - done that a little bit already.

Oops - just found that one of them does have information - I was being too hasty! Still appreciate any more advice available though ...

Thanks for all being so friendly and generous - I love this forum!

Last edited by llamacat; 29-08-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Last edited by ben b; 13-09-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks for that Ben - that's a useful bit of advice.
    Di x

Lightbulb

Ben - you are a star - thank you so much for that. It's exactly the sort of advice I was after - these things are so esoteric until you know what you're doing! I had already decided a swan-neck one was the best bet, and you've confirmed that. Can't wait to get it and have a go now - just wish I'd thought of this on Thursday so I didn't have to wait until Wednesday to try it out!

Cheers

Wink Using straight stamps

Hi llamacat,

Just as a tip if ever you have to use a straight stamp on a flat surface, I would advise fashioning a stamp holder out of a block of wood with a hole drilled through from top to bottom just large enough to fit the stamp into. I bought a straight stamp with my logo on it from America (BTW - watch out for customs duty on anything from America!) and found that just holding the stamp on a tag and then hitting it with a short sharp blow from a hammer didn't give enough force and made the stamp wobble about so the imprint came out uneven and blurred. By using a block of wood and then using sticky tape to position a tag, for example, in position under the bottom hole, you can then place the block of wood with the stamp in it on a hard surface and then hit it with a hammer knowing that the full force of the blow will actually go into imprinting.

I know I've gone off on a slightly different tangent, but this info may help anyone else who is having a stamping dilemma.

Fi

interesting tip Fi, pic would be good!
    Also check out assay office stuff with punches for hallmarking (.925 means nothing, only used on imported silver, UK silver over a certain weight, I think 7.5 g must be hallmarked or you can't call it silver only white metal yada yada yada etc )
    Thanks Ben, great tip as always
    Em