Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2014 Theme Competition

There's also the issue that the more work it takes to administer, the less the incentive to do so.

I think that as soon as we try to codify who is professional, who is amateur then the whole thing becomes a nightmare. James, strictly, is no longer a professional - using the definition of a professional as one who earns their income from it. Carole's point that professionals rarely have the time to do elaborate pieces specifically for the competition is also valid. I'm not sure about extending the period before a winner can be considered again too far as that diminishes the inducement to enter work.

Case in point: I rarely get around to putting up work, partly because I can't win. I've only myself to blame for that; early on I decided there was a conflict of interest. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to, just that I don't think it would be right.

There also seems to be an assumption that the only criterion is the workmanship of the final piece: I'm not privy to the judging, but I can't believe that design isn't considered too.

The easiest way to make it fair would be to remove it entirely "All made equal by hatchet, axe and saw. "

Other than choosing the winner randomly, I don't think there's really a way to be fair. There are lots of different skill levels here and I'd hate to limit what is shown merely because someone has won previously; although show and tell is available with some exceptions, we do get a lot more pictures of what people have made on the competition thread.

I rarely finish anything in time to post in the competitions, but love looking at the different interpretations of themes. Some entries are just jaw droopingly "wow! from talented and gifted craftspeople who have spent many many hours of work to get where they are and produce outstanding work. I look enviously at these, but they are so far beyond anything that I could create even in my dreams that I don't learn so much from their entries.

So then there are the rest. These I spend much more time studying, often trying to work out how they have been made, the techniques used, the order of construction, the materials, and I see solutions to ideas I have had but discarded as being beyond my skill level. My potential for learning from these entries is huge and I look forward to seeing them all.

For the first time this year I will be putting in my own entry this month. Yes, I have to accept mine will be rather mundane by comparison; but I feel I am making some progress and it's time to share.

Susie

Some time ago I won a workbench in one of these competitions. My work looked like that of a 5 year old alongside the other entries. I was convinced I had no chance at all.

I had used techniques I had never tried before and I said all that in my post. That was taken into account and I valued my win all the more for the fact that the other entries were so professional.

I think it should stay the way it is, and I would happily enter again even though I am nowhere near the standard of others on here.

I have seen what some goldsmiths may consider to be "amature" win on several occasions, I think the competition is more about the design and originality of an item and the way that it's executed is not the over riding factor and I think Cooksons take into account the different levels of ability when choosing a winner.
    I love seeing all the entries and I think it would be a shame to mess about with the rules and regulations

I agree with Mikethejeweller, if its messed around with too much it will take the fun out of it. Like someone earlier said its very nice to win it but not like winning the lottery, so not really life changing in that respect. I think Cookies judges will have enough sense to go for the design and originality rather than the "professional" finish, after all its the interpretation of the subject matter that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by mikethejeweller View Post
    I think Cooksons take into account the different levels of ability when choosing a winner.
    I'm sure they do. I'm sure it's in their interest to attract and encourage jewelry makers of all kinds.
    Some people have referred to the prize value not being life changing. Maybe not, but, if you win, firstly you have an accolade to your credit, and secondly the chance of winning £100-worth of goods every month is not something I see replicated in the other craft I'm involved in. In that other craft firstly there is no comparable competition offered by any supplier, and secondly even the main biennial international competition for the craft has certain subsidiary prizes that are lower in value than what Cooksons are offering every month, and the competition I'm talking about attracts everyone from amateurs to Royal Warrant holders.
    Patstone, I'm not sure the judges are looking at design "rather than" professional finish. I'd hope they're looking at both, though some months they're bound to put design considerations slightly ahead of technical finish and other months vice versa.

I am not in any way downgrading the efforts that Cooksons put in as a prize. I think its wonderful that they do it and I am sure that the people that win it are very chuffed about it, not just for the prize but that they won it. What I am saying is that the more rules and regulations you have the more complicated the judging will be and novice jewellers wont try harder to win because they know they are in a lower category anyway. Surely by having it open to all, you are encouraging novices to enter and aspire to greater heights.

Hi all,

Thank you for all your comments and it is great to see that you all care so much and have different opinions!!

Cooksongold caters for a huge variety of jewellery makers, from complete novices to seasoned professionals; with the forum giving a good snap shot of all of these different people and the work they create,

Allowing the competition to be open to anyone and everyone enables all users to join in, no matter their experience, skill level or profession.

The judging takes place based on a range of criteria, including design, skill, interpretation of the theme and much more. This means that we are not necessarily looking for the most professional, completed and finished piece, winners may be selected on the novel way the theme has been interpreted or the use of unusual materials or combinations giving the piece different dimensions.

We do run another competition on our Facebook page which is a weekly design competition and again this is open to anyone who wishes to enter. In previous competitions, both on the forum and on our Facebook page, winners have included professional jewellers who have been in the trade for a number of years and likewise, individuals who have just begun their jewellery making journey.

We encourage all forum users to get involved, have your say and send us your designs, we love seeing them no matter the skill level!

Please continue to join in and above all, have fun!

Thanks
    Jemima

To add to this, I've been working with silver for a little bit over two years and totally self taught. I spent some time before that doing component work to get a "feel" for designs and techniques before hitting the silver. I have never had the opportunity to attend any jewellery making course even though I desperately want to!
    My education comes purely from books, videos and of course the lovely people on this forum. I can honestly say that without Cookson comps I would never have reached the goals or level that I have as I wouldn't have had the cash for silver and equipment, so yes it can be life changing in that respect.

A while back, I had signed up for this forum account but had never posted - I was far too shy for that! The first competition I entered on here I actually won (although it was met with some negativity by two, now absent forum members but that, I think, was mostly my fault as I had completely forgotten that I had never posted before! I had been surfing the forum for so long and felt I had already gotten to know people, that in my own negligence didn't even say hello). There was a mention that the item had been "sitting in my drawer for many years" - the item in question was my first piece of silver work I had ever attempted and made specifically for that competition. My point is, the competitions are open for all and everyone gets a chance.
    It can seem grossly unfair in some circumstances, but if the rules are changed & everyone is given their own category it could get messy - how could you guarantee that everyone is sitting in the correct pigeon hole, as it were? How could you guarantee the guy in the amateur bit isn't actually a highly skilled professional that has been dong the job 40 odd years? If there's too much segregation then the comps will no longer be open for all.
    All points made already have been very valid, but the more rules the more messy it gets. Side note Peter, please reconsider and start to take part in the competitions. It would be lovely to see more of your work!

Anyway, back on subject. As it's been a while since I've entered on here I'd like to enter the silver piece I'm most proud off. I did enter this on the facebook page and would like to show it off here too.
    It's a tie bar that was made for a friends wedding for the father of the bride and I had 3 days to make it. At first I tried to etch a motorbike but that failed twice, so I decided to try 3D instead. The fact the wheel could move was just an afterthought as I was making it. This is version two of that tie bar.
    There is a video for it showing the wheel in motion (here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater).
    At the wedding, the father of the bride shook my hand and told me he loved it so much that he nearly cried when his daughter gave him it. That is why it's the item I'm most proud off =D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorbike tie bar V2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	6550
    Sian Williamson

Wow Sian, that is amazing. Very well done.