Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ijl

I was a little surprised by the names that were missing - not least of which the London Assay Office?! However... I was there from about 1030 to 1730 today. I saw Jura (and bought some more bits from him; very interested to see he's now using Airgravers exclusively), spoke to a number of 3d printer vendors, sorted out my Gem-A membership, made at least 3 new contacts for diamond supply, did my usual leaflet & magazine run, spoke to a fair few artists about mokume gane, customer perceptions and marketing and generally talked the hind legs off a donkey.

Ate a truly vile BLT sarnie from the food stands, but never mind.

Yes, I feel that the focus has shifted a lot to supplying retailers, not jewellers, but it worked well for my needs. Fewer freebies this year - last year Tresor Paris gave me a brolly, jelly beans and a crepe; this year they've been perhaps more sensible. I didn't really need another brolly, but the other two items would have been appreciated. There were also a hell of a lot of kids being dragged round the stands - what the hell?

Now of course I want to go to Inhorgenta next year.

Oh, and I may have picked up some work while networking
    Last edited by ps_bond; 01-09-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I'd love to go to Inhorgenta one year, just don't know how to work out the logistics. I am a reluctant traveller!
    Inhorgenta is huge. It's some time since I went, but from memory there were five halls, one of them entirely for gemstonesand many carved to unusual shapes. I spent two full days and even then had to rush. No one at the time took credit cards, so there were many long trecks to the cashpoint machines at the entrance.

You get to eat an awful lot of schnitzel.

Munich was cold and snowy in February, but overheated indoors so you need layers. The fair is some way outside the centre by metro. As it closes quite early in the evening it is best to go with a friend or a group, or else the evenings can be lonely.

Here is some information about accommodation, But you need to book early. Dennis.

We were very interested in having a stand, but when we were told that "we can't have a stand downstairs", and all we were offered was upstairs out of the way tucked up in a corner and facing the wall, we thought it's absolutely not worth it! We were on site every day though and actually talked to more people and did more business in the aisles than we ever did having a stand, so i think that tells you something!
    It's pretty much always been a retail driven fair I think....which is why the Sunday is always the busiest day, but having chatted to lots of the stallholders, the general feeling was that the venue was much nicer and brighter than the old Earls Court.

My daughter and I went on the Sunday and it was heaving. Got there at about 12 and walked around for five hours, and was exhausted. My opinion was that although the venue was better, the stalls were more on a commercial style than showing what young talent can do. So more of a sales "fair" than a "look what I can do". Upstairs was more of the type of thing we were expecting, but downstairs was all diamonds and gemstones set in more traditional ways, once you had seen one stall most of the others were the same. Not sure if I want to go again next year. Thanks to all concerned for my Monday surprise...... John and Dave and of course my daughter Sam arranged it unknown to me, (not sure if I am allowed to mention it on here), but to all in the "know" a very big thank you, made my weekend special.

.....can't you spill the beans Pat?? Sounds intriguing!! ;D

Well, this is where Steve LOA will probably want to kill me. I had a personal guided tour of the London Assay Office as a one-off. I think it was as a "sorry" gesture, as they damaged one of my daughters rings and we had to wait while they repaired it. Apparently they do guided tours but only to groups. All I can say to all concerned is thank you very, very much. Unfortunately I couldnt get the gold bars in my pocket, but £200,000 worth !!!!!!!! in one bar. The whole experience was exciting to say the least and made the trip to London one never to be forgotten.

That's really good to read Pat and we'll done SteveLAO!!
    Poor old Les

It wasnt arranged by Steve it was arranged by John Love and Dave Merry, but Steve has a presence on here. I know that Dave is down in either Dorset or Devon this week, in the Westcountry anyway, so John showed us around.

How fantastic Pat!! (Well done LAO)

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it Pat......

If anyone is interested in having a tour, then on Monday 20th October you're very welcome to come along to another of our famous hallmarking information days! It's an all day event including lunch and wine and the afternoon session includes a trip around the assay office and the Goldsmiths' library, together with the opportunity to "have a go" at hallmarking, and to have an item of precious metal tested. If anyone is interested please let me know and i can pass on all the details.....