Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 mm Cooksons setting

What's excepted is the final result
    If you have a diamond or sapphire, pushing the solid claw against the stone will indent the gold enough to make a kind of bearing.
    You need to judge if you can get away with it, sometimes It's not a good idea & looks a mess or just won't work.
    A short fat stubby claw probably might not be moveable without cutting a bearing & the only option is a stone that fits properly.

You can bend the "rules" abit once you've learnt them & sometimes It's required.
    You can't always have everything ideal unfortunately but it is of course better..

I use various rubber wheels these days to tidy up most jobs..
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 01-09-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Hi, it's me again
    After a long time it is finally done.
    Best advice was "Don't over complicate".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.664375282_haof.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	6712

Thanks again.
    And thanks a lot for the tip on a burr handle. I don't have anything like it and now I see it as must have I was thinking about using hand drill or something similar for burrs for quite a long time (every time when I was cursing high rpm of my hobby drill) but I wasn't sure if it works.

I think it looks beautiful Anna, well done. Loving the texture on the ring shank too.

Suse

Thanks Susie, I am still learning basics of working with faceted stones.
    Texture is done with old hammer personalized with saw.

I think the ring shank with its texture is beautiful Anna, but I am not a great fan of prongs.

Perhaps one day you will try a tapered rub over collet. You can buy them, or make your own. They have the additional benefit of not being so size sensitive. Regards, Dennis.

That looks great Anna, and as you've just learnt, the uses for a dremel are fairly limited due to their high rpm.

Chris: interesting comments about prong setting stones and the indents made when pushed onto diamonds etc. Presuming that you always need to cut a 'v' groove when pushing against much softer stones right?

Nick

You should always have a bearing cut, this was an instance of having a too small stone where the stone sat inside the claws rather than "inside" the claws.
    I make cuts are more shaped like a "7" for bigger stones.