Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creative Competition?

Go for it Karolina.....it really is very competitive out there and no Art Centre is likely to only stock one artist in any one media, I agree that the more variety a place offers the more customers will come through the door and that can only benefit everyone......it's shortsighted not to realise that.....even if your styles and price points were very similar, the customer would like something of yours or something of hers or someone else's for no explicable reason......the beauty of our species is that we all don't like the same thing (thank goodness, it is the spice of life!!).....

Well, the outlet decides whether a particular type of work is exclusive or not doesn't it? If they approached you, then I guess themselves the choices... It's not really up to her, but a lot of the people I know in the glass world directly use some of the same things as I do and we just try and work together to make a wider selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    No Liz first time gallery owners, she's in PR and they have a vision for a high end gallery but no idea about craft. Their gallery is full of friends and relation work and the potters real work is spread all over the place she just didn't know what to do with the badges so she stuck them on the top shelf of mine, there are a lot and difficult to display so it's a bit of a distraction especially when they are also really cheap and in a bespoke case. Ho hum
    I'd have a quiet word with them. Or, it were actually me, get someone with more tact to have a quiet word.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    I'd have thought a decent friend, or someone you'd helped out, would be happy for you? Or maybe that's just me!
    Nope, I agree. If it were stuff which was very similar, and if she was the one who tutored you, then maybe. As an example, my friend has been teaching me to enamel and I'm slowly building up my own collection of repro stuff but 1) I won't do repros of the stuff she does repros of and I won't sell them on ebay which is where she sells. I stick with etsy. Iactually suggested that she tries etsy and she wouldn't because I'm selling there but then the designs she sells are different. I wouldn't see it as competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    About 10 years ago now, I approached a local photographer to see if he would be interested in some reciprocal advertising.
    His attitude was "well if someone has £100 in their pocket, they'll only spend it on one of us, so why would I help you".
    Some folk are REALLY short sighted.
    the guy is a mug. People aren't going to think like that between jewellery and photography and since (even 10 years ago) everyone is a photographer a tog should get all the exposure they can.

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt but my view on this is pretty straight forward. The only people who get up tight about competition are those who know they either can't or, much more likely, are unwilling to make the effort to raise their standards. The only possible exception to this would be if someone came in radically undercutting everyone else because they have the luxury of not needing their work to pay for itself.

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

It's not often I wish for a 'Like' button...

Quote Originally Posted by Stirring Moose View Post
    Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt but my view on this is pretty straight forward. The only people who get up tight about competition are those who know they either can't or, much more likely, are unwilling to make the effort to raise their standards. The only possible exception to this would be if someone came in radically undercutting everyone else because they have the luxury of not needing their work to pay for itself.

S.M.
    I think your right SM. And perhaps mixed with insecurity. Iv certainly had my eyes opened.....and the girl in question has now deleted me from her Facebook.

Yes Peter, a like button would be good right now!

Quote Originally Posted by KarolinaMoon View Post
    ..and the girl in question has now deleted me from her Facebook.

Yes Peter, a like button would be good right now!
    Oh you are probably better off without her Karolina, I had a 'friend' print an incredibly hostile 10 point critique on a piece of my work on FB before she clicked it was mine and then she had the cheek to unfriend me!! Aren't people strange!

If your not treading on the toes of someone or a company that's important to you then It's fine..in any case you do what's more beneficial to you in the long run.

I think you should go for it Karolina, but only if you feel that it's the right place for your work. Your so called friend obviously isn't really a friend, so I wouldn't worry about offending her. As others have said, if you don't go for it, there will be someone else who does, competition is always there and if your "friend" can't cope with that she shouldn't be running a business. There is room for various styles and price ranges and if there is a great selection of jewellery on offer, the gallery will get a name for it and there will be plenty of business to go round!

Best of luck with it if you decide to go ahead!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Thanks Carin....yes I agree, there will always be competition no matter where you go. And at the end of the day it's up to the gallery to decide what they put on display. This same girl threw 'jibes' at me, such as that my husband and daughter must take a backseat to all the silversmithing/making I do. Rather rude....and I ignored it at the time. But clearly, not a true friend.
    I have since decided to have my work in a different gallery who have just accepted my work....and plan to hold off for now on the art centre she is at.