Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D print output

Default 3D print output

Thought I'd put this up here - as it's actually the first model I've had printed. This has been done to show the capabilities of a Projet 1200 SLA printer; the guys selling it were kind enough to use that as an example. It's been done in a castable resin, although I've probably got enough moisture into it by handling that it wouldn't cast properly now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	projet_sample.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	6491

This is what the rendered version looks like -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vray_render.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	6492

Been reading a lot about the continuing developments in 3D printing through my motorsport and engineering interests. For some reason hadn't really pondered the possibilities for jewellery applications. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Are you thinking of buying the printer then Peter? Still on the hunt for someone who will scan & print my odds

Probably not that one - it uses proprietary cartridges which doesn't sit well with me. There are some interesting 3rd party resins coming onto the market; I think it'd be daft to restrict myself to single-source supply.

They showed some interesting bits from other industries, including a part of the Shard, an F1 exhaust manifold (no idea which team!) and some metal printed parts. RP has been around for decades in other industries, it's only relatively recently that it's become cost-effective for smaller jewellers.

when you say 'cast-able' resin, do you mean it burns off like a lost wax?

In theory it does
    Burnout schedule is slightly different.

and this is a consumer 3D printer? Like one anyone can buy without re-mortgaging the house?

Depends on your POV. You could buy a (very) small car for the same amount? The Dacia Sandero beloved of James May, for example.

Then there's CAD sw, time to learn it, rendering sw and so on. Oh, and a gutsy computer to run it all on.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Depends on your POV. You could buy a (very) small car for the same amount? The Dacia Sandero beloved of James May, for example.

Then there's CAD sw, time to learn it, rendering sw and so on. Oh, and a gutsy computer to run it all on.
    That'll be a no then!

Of course you could buy the printer then print yourself the car. Titter ye not; fully structurally capable printed parts have been done!

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt