Thread: Ultrasonic Damanging Jewellery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I have exactly the same problem Hannah. In fact, I think my ultrasonic keeps fusing my electricity, so it's had to be scrapped. Mine was the Cooksons economy range and cost something like £150. They don't seem to do the same one now.

My question is, if I go for a more expensive one, will I still have the same problems? I don't want to fork out a lot of money if it's no better than the cheap one.
    I also get the white marks on my jewellery after putting in the ultrasonic. I rarely use mine any more, because the marks have to be polished out again, thus rendering putting them in the ultrasonic in the first place entirel pointless. I have this one: http://www.hswalsh.com/product/digit...5-litres-hu151 and have tried various cleaning fluids with it.

That one looks very similar to my old one Lauren.

I have today, taken delivery of a fab spanking new Elma one and I can't believe how quiet it is. The old one always set my teeth on edge. So far I haven't noticed the white marks yet, so fingers crossed that I've solved the problem.

Steamer or ultrasonic?

You have to have both!

We have even used our steamer to make frothy coffees too, when we had it new.

There is often dirt left behind stones even with the ultrasonic, thats where a steamer comes in so handy.

Never had a problem with white marks. i can only assume these are caused by 'something' rubbing against the surface, bubbles perhaps?

We have always bought expensive ultrasonics £500+ and have never had a problem. We don't use environmental friendly products either, sorry. Stick with the proven products and established brands such as Elma etc. Some of the new brands are not as good and neither are the solutions.

Out current ultrasonic has been with us for over 18 years, on every day, no problems. Twin transducer? I think. Cleaned out every couple of weeks despite the colour of the solution. Not a good idea I know.

Andrew
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_berry View Post
    We don't use environmental friendly products either, sorry. Stick with the proven products and established brands such as Elma etc. Some of the new brands are not as good and neither are the solutions.
    Echoes of my comment earlier - I'm more interested in whether the stuff works than what it's made of!

Default Gloom and Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Echoes of my comment earlier - I'm more interested in whether the stuff works than what it's made of!
    Many of us echo that, but of course it is what motivates us in our small way, and industry in a larger way to pollute the planet. What of the future?

Let our grandchildren and their children deal with insufferable climate change, or emigrate to another planet. Or die in a hostile environment. Dennis

Not really; the risks are generally well known and can be managed appropriately. Like not tipping stuff down the sink, for example; using fume & dust extraction where needed and so on.

Mercury's perfectly safe to use with the right kit - I don't have the right kit so I don't use it. Citric acid is often touted as a "safe" pickle; once it is loaded with copper it is toxic and needs to be treated as any other pickle.

I'm all for environmentally friendly products, but one problem with them is that often they're only environmentally friendly in a very limited sense; all the tag generally means is that a product has satisfied some minimum environmental manufacturing standard, which manufacturers are generally happy to comply with on the basis that it encourages conscience-driven consumers to choose their product over supposedly environmentally unfriendly alternatives.
    These days one of the most prevalent environmentally unfriendly manufacturing practices is using large quantities of precious resources to make products (ultrasonics included) that need to be binned after a year or two because they were never fit for purpose to begin with. Products that last for years and give good service avoid this fault at least.