Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic Damanging Jewellery

Default Ultrasonic Damanging Jewellery

Hello,

Me again!

I am having some trouble with my ultrasonic marking my jewellery requiring me to then re-polish.

I have a JPL Ultra 7000 and I use sea clean 2 with this, half a cap full. I am having problems with both the machine and the fluid.

I have narrowed the problem down to find out which is causing the problems, and it turns out they both are.

I tried using the ultrasonic with warm water alone, and it leaves faint white marks near to edges, but only in certain places, the marks are light and can be seen in natural lighting. The marks don't come out with a polishing cloth but if I give it a quick polish with rouge and a buff and the marks come out……….. but then the piece needs cleaning again……… and will then get damaged in the ultrasonic again. The marks are always in different places, but only in 1 small place each time.

I have tried using ultrasonic fluid in warm water in a cup and leaving the piece to soak, and I get white stain patterns on the jewellery which again cannot be removed with a polishing cloth. The marks are very different though.

I put my pieces on their jump ring and chains and suspend it from a pole resting over the top of the machine. I have checked there is nothing bashing in to each other and the piece is not touching anything.

Is it because my ultrasonic is cheap? I would purchase an expensive one if I know this is the solution, but I don't want to spend out hundreds to find I have the same problem :S
    The ultrasonic works amazingly if it wasn't for this problem!

Thanks,
    Hannah

I have exactly the same problem Hannah. In fact, I think my ultrasonic keeps fusing my electricity, so it's had to be scrapped. Mine was the Cooksons economy range and cost something like £150. They don't seem to do the same one now.

My question is, if I go for a more expensive one, will I still have the same problems? I don't want to fork out a lot of money if it's no better than the cheap one.

Hi both. I don't use ultrasonics, so I cant give an answer, but this company is showing at IJL soon, so you could visit them there, or phone them to discuss you problem.

http://www.jamesproducts.co.uk/ Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. I may give them a ring.

I'm very tempted though to get a steam cleaner instead. I just can't decide whether the very expensive jewellery ones are that much better than normal household ones.

My Bandelin Sonorex, has served me well for over 25 years now, not cheap but I think you get what you pay for.

James

So James, would you say that the more expensive ultrasonics wouldn't cause the problems mentioned above?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    So James, would you say that the more expensive ultrasonics wouldn't cause the problems mentioned above?
    I have never had problems with marking in my ultrasonic, but please bear in mind that I don't make jewellery so when I am using the ultrasonic there is only a few pieces in it at a time, and I also have a large model that has a decent size interior. I always use the hanging free method on copper wires most times, when I have cleaned multiple tiny pieces that cannot be suspended on wires in the past I used small plastic hanging baskets that I made out of old 35mm. film cannisters.

This is the model I have; http://www.ultrasoniccleaner.co.uk/sonorex-rk100h.html

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 21-08-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Hi Hannah

This is the first time we've heard of this problem. I've just asked one of our Jewellers who uses a James ultrasonic and Seaclean liquid and she doesn't get this problem. So I've spoken to James Products and they've not heard of it either, they've asked to following questions however

Which fluid are you using?
    How old is it?
    How long has it been open?
    What alloy are you trying to clean?

rgds
    Rob

To answer your questions Rob:-

Seaclean
    A couple of months
    A couple of months
    Silver