Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic Damanging Jewellery

I keep the steam cleaner in a separate room as it's a scary bit of kit and will cause damp. Needs to be serviced annually - go to your local garage and find out who they use to service their compressors. They should be able to do the cleaner too

Thanks Ally. I'm happy with my ultrasonic now that I've found the right solution but I may think about getting a steam cleaner.

Looking at elma's as they are recommended on here, which models do you have? Or if anyone recommends any others I'm open to browsing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a chinese one from amazon last month and it seems fine, it was this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

It's listed as a Floureon 2l heated one, but when it came it's badged as GT Sonic, it is quite a solid piece of kit, all stainless steel, it makes a mess of a piece of tinfoil which seems to be the standard effectiveness test. It's a chinese seller, but Amazon gives guarantees about returns from 3rd party sellers and it was despatched from a uk warehouse, and when I emailed them they replied in legible english, so it's been hassle free for me so far.

Hiya,

Thanks for the replys everyone, I have now sorted the problem thanks to the amonia solution, and a different ultrasonic suggestions on here.

Just a quick update for everyone else having this problem. It was the ultrasonic causing the marks and Sea Clean made it worse. I even tried heating distilled water in a pan and mixing it with the sea clean incase it was a lack of heat or water softner that caused a problem, but using it in the ultrasonic still marked the silver.

I bought a new ultrasonic from Cookson Gold and this works far better! I now dip the pieces in the ultrasonic for a few seconds at a time and use an ammonia based solution, this seems to work perfectly now (touch wood!).

It is this one that works well for me - http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-1316

Hannah x

P.s I even bought a cheap chinese £40 one from ebay to give that a go, it worked perfectly but broke after 3 months, so it is always best to get one with a warranty.

Why do people use ultrasonic cleaners. What does it do that a tumbler doesn't. All of my stuff is put in a tumbler for a final polish, it comes up beautiful. It gets a quick once over with a cloth and that's it.

Pat - it's been said time and again: Ultrasonic cleaners DO NOT POLISH. They are for cleaning polish and other muck off and are no more comparable to a barrel polisher than a saw is to a pair of snipe nose pliers.

Has anyone used the ammonia based fluid on an item that has rouge on it after being polished and that item of jewellery has some rhodium plating on it?

I believe it is not recommend to use ammonia on rhodium plate

You dont really need more than hand hot water, washing up liquid, and a soft artists brush for this. Dennis.