Thread: Texturing Question

Default Texturing Question

My texture mop wheel doesn't seem to be doing the job I thought it would. This is not a very good picture as I cropped it from a larger image, but how could I get a texture similar to this? (The rough bit). I don't have a rolling mill or anything fancy yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	6477
    Last edited by Sandra; 16-08-2014 at 11:11 AM.

From what I can see Sandra, that has probably been done with a hammer or rolling mill. It looks as if it's perhaps a textured panel soldered on. You wouldn't get that depth of texture with a mop

These sorts of textures can be achieved using chasing punches or a tiny shaped hammer. I make my own chasing punches from silver steel rods bought here; https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-me...l/cat_141.html ,each rod is enough to make 3 punches. I just file the punches into shape, polish their ends if needed, then harden and temper them for use and they will be a great addition to your toolbox. Treat yourself to a chasing hammer and you will be set for life.

James

I would say that the easiest way is simply with an off-centre ball burr, say 0.8-1.0mm in diameter. You will need two pliers.

Hold the stem of the burr with one and heat the neck until it just reddens. Then with the other plier, quickly bend the neck until the ball is slightly off centre by only about one mm. No need to restore the temper.

Now, when you run the burr over metal and keep your handpiece moving in circles, with a light touch, you will develop the texture you are after. The size of the burr gives the coarseness of the effect and running it in reverse is gentler. Dennis

Well thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it. I've since raided my hubby's tool chest and found some interesting punches and have been experimenting with them. I also discovered I already have a chasing hammer. I will be trying your method out tomorrow Dennis! It's always fun learning new techniques and having them work

I tried the off-centre ball burr today and have been having fun with textures. Maybe TOO much fun as will be evident in my competition piece this month....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    I tried the off-centre ball burr today and have been having fun with textures. Maybe TOO much fun as will be evident in my competition piece this month....
    can you even ~have~ too much fun with texture?