Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anywhere in the UK Sell Argentium Twisted Wire?

Question Does anywhere in the UK Sell Argentium Twisted Wire?

Hi Guys, i'm looking to buy some Argentium Wire that's already Twisted.
    Is there anywhere in the UK (or even in Europe) that sells it?
    I've been looking online, but only see it sold in the USA.
    I need it pretty quickly.
    Thanks.

Try Allied Gold in Dalston.....I think they are the main distributor in the UK for Argentium silver....

It would be a lot quicker (and cheaper) to just twist your own. A drill of pretty much any type and a small vice are all you need - or a pair of wire twisting pliers. You'll have more trouble finding Argentium at a decent price in the UK - would sterling or Reflections do instead?

Thanks Steve, will check them out.

I WAS actually thinking of twisting my own Ms George, but i've tried it before (just using pliers) and it was a bit of a disaster. :/
    The thing is, i only need about a foot of it, but need it pretty quickly and it'd be a crime to have to pay $40+ Express shipping from the USA.
    It has to be Argentium i'm afraid.

I may have no choice but to twist it myself tbh.
    Will test out some cheaper wire i have on my other halfs drill.
    In the meantime, i'll keep looking.
    Last edited by silvermagpie; 14-08-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Fold the wire in half and loop around a pin or peg held in a small bench vice (or get someone else to hold onto it if you haven't got one!). Then pop the two cut ends into the chuck of a drill and use very slow speed to twist.

What gauge did you need? If you run into trouble, give me a shout and I may be able to help. I only keep a small amount of Argentium in stock now as I don't think it's worth it for most things, but I have a fair range of sizes.

As George says it's quite easy, I use an old hand drill when I want to make twist wires, I use the same method as George describes when making cable wires and I also twist square wire for another twist wire effect. Just make sure the wires are correctly annealed before twisting. This is the type of drill I use; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-HA...27E26HM09FJ8CM although mine is an old Stanley model.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 14-08-2014 at 03:30 PM.

James, I use exactly the same thing (mine is also a very old Stanley). Much more control than trying to work with a power version. I also use a hand drill mounted in a vice for a lot of my coiling - again, I find it easier to control and more accurate when I want a nice tight twist.

I haven't tried it but would this work? http://www.cooksongold.com/Beads/Twi...rcode-999-0931

Unless speed is of the essence, you don't need anything but a pair of pliers (preferably parallel-jawed) and a small vice to twist wire.
    I did the wire for the pendant in this thread that way.

If anyone is interested and has some time take a look at this film; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8uQ2lp2DBM it shows a couple of my old friends making a replica crown of Henry VIII for Hampton Court Palace, about 7 minutes in to the film you can see Graham Harling twisting some square wire using an old hand drill and David Stevens doing some soldering. I have known both these goldsmiths since they were apprentices.

James