Thread: Struggling to solder....Is it me or the torch?! gosystem fine flame tech torch

Default Struggling to solder....Is it me or the torch?! gosystem fine flame tech torch

Hi there After a year of lessons I'm finally starting to set up my own little work area with equipment. I have a gosystem fine flame tech torch and am finding it doesn't really do the job properly...or it could be me! The flame is really powerful and seems to heat things up too quickly - only very occasionally do I manage to get the join to solder. If I turn the flame down it splutters and dies - there doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Or could it be the gas I'm using which is Parasene (70% propane 30% butane). Would I be better off using just pure butane? I haven't tried butane gas with it yet. Agggghhhh! And it was all going so well hehehe !
    xx

This sort of torch is intended for small DIY plumbing jobs, but it can be made to work.

You are advised to let the burner heat up for a while which reduces the tendency to splutter, as does using up some of the gas. You can also add an unauthorised modification, by using a strip of copper or brass to encircle the burner, so that the air access can be partially closed off.
    this will give you a softer more bushy flame. In use this gets hot so don't touch it.

In use you should avoid heating a solder joint directly, but move your flame constantly until the metal approaches soldering temperature. Then sneak up on the joint to complete the job. By doing this in subdued light, you will be warned by redness if you linger too long in one place.

The propane butane mix is fine, as butane alone burns too cool for larger projects. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

Thank you so much for the advice Dennis - I will follow everything you have recommended fingers crossed x

works like a dream Dennis - thank you so much for your advice :-) x

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This sort of torch is intended for small DIY plumbing jobs, but it can be made to work.

You are advised to let the burner heat up for a while which reduces the tendency to splutter, as does using up some of the gas. You can also add an unauthorised modification, by using a strip of copper or brass to encircle the burner, so that the air access can be partially closed off.
    this will give you a softer more bushy flame. In use this gets hot so don't touch it.

In use you should avoid heating a solder joint directly, but move your flame constantly until the metal approaches soldering temperature. Then sneak up on the joint to complete the job. By doing this in subdued light, you will be warned by redness if you linger too long in one place.

The propane butane mix is fine, as butane alone burns too cool for larger projects. Dennis

Well I'm glad that's out of the way. Of course for small things like jump rings and chains, you will still need a hand held mini-torch, like the one in Cooksons kit, or the Proxxon one which is only slightly better.

Of course you might already have one of those. It can be used on its own, or for bigger items if you need to make a small addition in a localised place.

What you do then, is to raise the temperature with the big torch just short of redness and with the other hand, home in using the mini-torch to make the solder flow in just one place.

A useful new trick for you. Dennis.