Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nylon nosed pliers

Default Nylon nosed pliers

A few years ago I bought some pliers with nylon jaws which have been very useful. (I use them for making sure stones are set into bezels tightly, so squeezing the stone into the bezel). I recently bought some replacement jaws, just little nylon/plastic things that screw onto the metal part of the pliers, but the screw isnt screwing into the plastic and comes out. I have tried to stick it in with superglue which doesnt work, does anyone else use these pliers, if so have you encountered my problem and how do you rectify it. One side is perfect, but the other side is a problem.

Can't help with the pliers, but It's better to learn to set your stones without them

The only other way I can think of is to make the bezel a bit bigger, or to tap in the stone with a wooden stick and a mallet. I have only had lessons from my local college which was one evening a week and for 10 weeks, and stone setting was just briefly mentioned, the rest I have learned from You Tube and you guys. How should I do it then, it would make my life a lot easier if I could do it properly. The way I do it is wrap a piece of bezel silver around the stone and cut it to length and solder it, file the top edge knife like and then solder it onto a base which is slightly bigger, then file away the base so it is the same size as the bezel, put a piece of dental thread across the bezel and put the stone in to check the size and to re shape it, then carefully take the stone out and solder the bezel onto the base, then solder the "cup" onto the ring etc, pickle, give an hour or so in the tumbler then put in the stone and bend the top of the bezel over, which is one area that although it goes in ok, the bezel top always looks a bit "chewed" not a smooth top, which I then have to sand and file etc for a good finish. Have a look at what I have done, any help would be good help. This is our website, www.iscasilver.co.uk all the ones starting with PL are mine, the others are my daughters, she has the same hobby.

I have Beadalon nylon jaw pliers with replacement tips and no problems. Perhaps the manufacturer of yours changed the specs? It's why I usually buy a replacement whatever at the same time I buy the original product ... cause "ya never know."

I can't envision really how you are using them for stone setting though, it would seem to me that once the stone is in the bezel the nylon pliers wouldn't actually do anything to the metal, unless the bezel wall was way too big for the stone. Or, are you using the pliers to drop and nudge the stone into the bezel so you don't damage it ... may try that myself later. Picking up stones is fiddley.

Looks like you need to dig up that old thread where we discussed this before.
    Too thin metal is the problem....but you do have some work there that looks fine to me.
    Some of the problem jobs are abit awkward design & pliers won`t help at all..you need to make a pusher that suits the job & work your way around the stone.
    Just keep the metal thicker & no higher bezel than you can get away with.

I use the pliers to make sure the stone is seated correctly (I am talking about cabs, not faceted). If you put one half of the jaws on the top of the stone and the bottom jaw under the bezel and gently close the jaws, the stone is tight into the base, then push the top of the bezel with a pusher as normal. I normally use 3mm or 5mm bezel silver from Cookies for the walls but sometimes have used 0.3mm fine silver sheet instead, most times using 0.8mm or 1mm for the base. What thickness walls should I use then, if it was much thicker I wouldnt have the strength to push it over the stone.

You'll have to experiment abit to see what works with your lack of power, 0.3 isn't enough but 1mm should be alright.
    If you can't push 1mm silver you'll need to join a gym

Try Cookson Gold website and type in DSF 603. That is normally what I buy. On the rare occasion I buy 0.3mm fine silver sheet. Are you telling me that I should buy 1mm, that seems very thick. I will give it a go. What does everyone else use?
    Last edited by Patstone; 13-08-2014 at 02:24 PM.

If you still want to use the pliers Pat, make up the other side with Polymorph, which you heat in hot water to mould around the beak and screws. If you don't have any, PM me and I'll send you a sample in the post. Dennis.

You might be alright with thinner metal but don't bother filing the knife edge.
    You only really do that if you have to weaken hard metals so they are moveable..filing soft thin metal to paper won't help your neat edges.