Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough 9ct white gold

Default Not enough 9ct white gold

bit of a situation, I currently have 12.3 grams of 9ct white gold and I promised to make my brother I laws wedding ring before they get married on Oct 11th, currently using the delft clay method to cast my rings but at the moment after 6/7 attempts it just will not cast and the only other 2 ways of doing this that I know of are a.)a rolling mill or b.) a centrifugal casting system which I have neither of... the only other solution I can think of is to buy more 9ct white gold in order to push the ring through to then complete it, or do I buy a rolling mill to achieve the ring and also some 9ct white solder to solder it together...
    OR IF I COULD TRAVEL TO ANYONE IN THE NORTH WALES AREA THAT HAS A ROLLING MILL OR CENTRIFUGAL CASTING SYSTEM I COULD USE IT WOULD REALLY HELP OR ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME
    JUST DON'T WANT TO FAIL MY SISTER

Give up, buy some suitable 9ctwh wire and solder it up Dennis.

That's what I'd do too. Time is money!

If you cast it you would need enough metal for the sprue and button do you have an idea of how much the finished ring will weigh ?

well the 2 rings i'm casting from josef1 are actually silver, one weighs 8g and the other 4.9 grams, the 8g D-shaped band ring is 8mm and the 4.9g ring is 5/6mm, I guess i need to buy more as the flow to either mould of any of the rings using the delft clay method isn't completing, so either buy more so there's enough for the flow to get through successfully or buy a rolling mill and 9ct white solder anyway, either way this present is going to leave mothballs in my wallet :/

A piece of 4mm x 2mm 9ct D wire to do an average sized man's ring would cost around £70. A panel of solder would be about £30 extra, but you'd get many other jobs besides this one out of it. If you just buy a piece of wire you won't need to buy a rolling mill, and you won't need to go through the casting process again worrying whether you have enough gold to complete the job. I'd think £70 was a decent amount to commit to a wedding present for my brother-in-law. I'm assuming you're intending it as a gift.

yes it is a gift Aurarius, I've already bought the 9ct white a couple of weeks ago so that's already hit me for 6....

IT'S ALRIGHT! IT WAS JUST MY TECHNIQUE! I tried 5 or 6 attempts and came to the conclusion it was to do with the flow behind the pour but it was actually more to do with the way I poured it, I learned it should be poured more like an espresso, and after 3/4 more attempts I cracked it! thanks (my brother in law is relieved)

Well done! It'd be nice to see a picture of the finished item.

here you go Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robs wedding ring 13.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	6536