Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International ring sizing

Thanks guys, I agree that sizing in person is the best way. Though I've just had a rather negative experience with a customer who came to see me, I sized a ring she was wearing and I then made her a ring 1/2 size bigger for her daughter who she said had slightly bigger fingers than her. The ring didn't fit her daughter and the customer then went to some local jewellers who - surprise surprise - measured the ring I made a different size to how it comes out on my ring stick. It also turns out the the customer is seemingly wearing a ring that is 2-3 sizes too small for her (something she neglected to mention to me) so it's not a massive surprise the daughters rings didn't fit. She's now demanding a refund on the grounds that I haven't made it the correct size and I quite frankly want to scream! In this instance I am giving a refund as I am just about to go on maternity leave and am too tired to argue but before I come back to work I will be writing out a very very clear statement on ring sizing and steps that I can take with the customer to ensure that the size is right, including measurements in mm or making brass rings (with an explanation or potential time and cost implications) and also stating very clearly what happens if they guess a size and it's wrong. Talk about learning a lesson the hard way!

trialuser - would I be liable for the cost of stretching from another jeweller though? also in this case the rings have flush set stones so can't really be stretched or not by very much.

Yeah - ignore that bit about stretching, it was just me thinking aloud, and suggesting something a bit daft!
    I think the point I was trying to make is that as a general rule, it's probably easier to stretch a bit rather than shrink a bit, there are always exceptions though, and set stones complicate it further.

not daft! totally agree that it's easier to make a ring bigger rather than smaller