Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International ring sizing

Default International ring sizing

Hi all

I'm making some rings for a couple in Kenya - they have had their fingers measured at a local jewellers and have come back with a size 25 or V 1/2 and a 12 or L. The first size is an unknown scale, the second is supposed to be the UK size. She found the 12 a bit tight so wants a 12.5.

Problem is that I can't find a ring chart that exactly corresponds to these sizes. According to Wikipedia a V 1/2 is a size 25 on India's ring sizing scale, but a 12 is an L 1/2. The Swiss scale is probably the next closest with a V 1/2 being 24.75 and a L being 11.25.

What sizes do you think I should make these rings?! I think V 1/2 for the larger ring is ok, but I'm unsure for the smaller ring. By either the Swiss or Indian scales I think that a 12.5 is an M?

I'm only going with Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_size) as when I google ring sizing charts they're all ever so slightly different so it's impossible to know which is correct! Is this the best chart to use?

Additional question: is it best to measure to the centre of a ring or the leading edge? In this case the bigger ring is 10mm wide so it could make quite a difference. Is there an 'industry standard'?

Cheers
    Victoria

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Due to the unique way different countries use a measurement, you need to compare only with on against a set preference. If you keep on using different areas, you will get in a muddle.

I use this converter, but always with a UK preference as baseline reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Due to the unique way different countries use a measurement, you need to compare only with on against a set preference. If you keep on using different areas, you will get in a muddle.

I use this converter, but always with a UK preference as baseline reference.
    So do you think I should just go with the UK sizes they gave me and not worry about whether they line up to other scales or not? As she said 12=L but she wants 12.5 I'll still have to guess that that's roughly an L 1/2?

The simplest answer may be to get them to go with the old string or paper wrapped around the finger (post it notes are good for this) and use this to give a mm measurement. Alternatively, could you send them a plastic sizer that you can duplicate and get them to measure for themselves. These don't always conform exactly to, say, wheatsheaf sizes, but as long as you have another the same you should be accurate - http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AIA

You can't even guess the size unless the same make of ring sizer is being used at either end. Also the width makes a difference, but usually works out well if you measure from the centre of the band.

So go with Georges suggestion but when the new measures arrive send out a selection of three rings for each- one as they have measured, one bigger and one smaller.

These can be of copper or brass, but even though this is tedious, once they agree you have it right, you will be confident enough to make the real thing.

These are good tips of course. The problem with people doing their ring sizing, is that they don't remember to check for the knuckle fit.

So, a little reminder to check is always a good thing to do.

In answer to you question Victoria. Stay with a baseline reference. Whether it is a length of paper or measurement. Each ring has a finite measurement and you need to bear that in mind that the ring sizes are a convenient way of producing this. The confusion can happen when mixing up too many sizes, as already pointed out. Do what works best. If you look at my ring sizing sheet, you could just use mm measurements. It is available on my web blog page.

There's also a ring sizing app which I think it fairly accurate, though I've had a few people use it and get it wrong.

I would go with their sizes and then it's their fault if they don't fit. If you try and work it out yourself, they can come back and say you got it wrong. When people order the wrong size, I charge them for resizing.

Thanks all, all handy tips. I think in this instance I'm going to go with the sizes they gave me and then as Carol says, if they're wrong it's their fault. I've had customers measure their fingers with bits of string/paper before and when I've sent them a plastic sizer or sent them to a jewellers their original measurements have been wildly inaccurate so I avoid that method! The plastic sizers are fine (agreed Wallace, got to ask them to check how it goes over the knuckle) but I would have thought that in this case they would also be inaccurate as the actual rings will be so much wider than the sizer?

The fact that different ring sticks produce different sizes regularly drives me mad...I have a 'normal' ring stick and a wheatsheaf one and they give different sizes for the same ring...sigh. I stick to wheatsheaf these days as the one that I think is more recognised?

V

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    ...... if they're wrong it's their fault.
    I'm afraid I cant see it that way. They will have have taken professional advice and for their money they are entitled to a professional result. Dennis.

Agree with Dennis.

Just had a ring returned as it is bigger than the customer had given me a size for, the rules of purchase included this as a possibility and a resolution.

My repeat customer, however, wants me to charge for resizing. Clarity, by the point of sale is really important. It is your trade and business.