Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soldering on textured surface

That was actually my first concern too Medusa.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    would the texture not result in a good connection? I ask because I've always textured after soldering because of worries around this.
    I've soldered onto a textured surface a few times with no problems. If you texture after soldering that limits you to hammer texturing instead of being able to run the sheet through the rolling mill. I've tried after soldering texturing as an afterthought or a cover up and find it difficult to make it look as good as it stops at the collet or sheet and you sort of lose the flow of the texture

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

same here. Pattern and texture first then solder. If you can draw the solder from the back to the front, it shouldn't interfere with the pattern too much. (unless you over do the solder - which, unfortunately, happens rather easily, or when everything else has gone so well.... )

Lots of good information, thanks once again! I'm glad I waited for advice before beginning this project. I still only have pretty basic supplies so no rolling mill yet I'm afraid, I'd love one though. I'll be putting in an order for powdered rouge and I'll also use the bevel technique. Thanks Dennis for the illustration - it helps a lot. If all goes well this project will be my August entry into the Cookson competition.

If you happen to have a bar of rouge for polishing you can just brush up some paste on that with water too which would save you buying more

Like the others, I have soldered onto pretty deep texturing without apparent problems. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breakfast Set (2).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Thank you for all the advice! I think I may use all of these tips. Is there a product on the market like the rouge mixture that exists?
    I've successfully used yellow ochre watercolour paint to keep solder from flowing where I don't want it. I think I'd read something about yellow ochre working and I had the paint on hand. This might have been where I saw that, but at any rate it looks useful:
    http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...r-flow-clb.htm

gawd, all the time and trouble I could have saved myself! What about soldering onto a hammered surface?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

These are hammer textured and then soldered - not too bad. You can add bezels, and so on. What I have found that works if adding a bezel is to put the solder on the inside and draw it out. I do it as a standard with all bezels so I do it naturally now rather thank think about it.

I am sure others will have better works to show, but that is all I have to hand at the moment. The exception to the rule, is frosted work, that of course needs to be done at the last hurdle.

Attachment 6458

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    The exception to the rule, is frosted work, that of course needs to be done at the last hurdle.

Attachment 6458
    Why is frosted texture different from other textures to work with? I've never frosted anything (except cakes), so I don't know the technique used.