Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2014 Theme Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Cripple in Heels View Post
    Oh boy, maybe I'm not destined to enter?! Last attempt.....
    I think your customer should be very pleased with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    That's great. Can I ask, did you engrave the fur and facial features etc. or is this a cast?
    No casting, I made this gorilla entirely from 1mm. thick sheet silver, my design engraved then pierced and shaped by means of hammers and punches, hammering it on a lead block, the face and detail was carved using scorpers and gravers, the fur shaping was added using chasing tools and finer textures added by using my hammerhead attachment fitted on a flex shaft, using various hand shaped hammer heads.

James

Default August 2014 Theme Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    "No casting, I made this gorilla entirely from 1mm. thick sheet silver, my design engraved then pierced and shaped by means of hammers and punches, hammering it on a lead block, the face and detail was carved using scorpers and gravers, the fur shaping was added using chasing tools and finer textures added by using my hammerhead attachment fitted on a flex shaft, using various hand shaped hammer heads."

I am simply in awe of you James. He is an amazing Silver Back, literally! I'm less than two years into my journey with silver, but if in 20 years I have half of your skill then I'll be very happy. Whoever ended up with this is very lucky.

Mel
    Last edited by Cripple in Heels; 25-08-2014 at 09:34 AM.

I love the abstract designs on that chameleon, it's my new favourite! The gorilla is beautifully modelled, great engraving.

Carole, sorry for the issue with my Flickr links, I have been having problems uploading images here. Will try again...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BatNecklace.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	6503
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BatNecklace2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	6504

I wonder if it was an image size problem. One uploaded, but the other failed until I resized it.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I can see it. Looks fab.
    Thank you Carole.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I think your customer should be very pleased with that.
    Thank you so much. I'm still at that point where I'm terrified the customer is going to tell me the item is pants & that I should stop making jewellery immediately, but I understand that the fear never goes?! Thankfully Cam's owner squealed when she saw him, in a good way. But again, thank you for your kind words.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    I love the abstract designs on that chameleon, it's my new favourite!
    Talking of excited squeals - thank you so much Elaine! Each sheet takes about 4 days to design using pens with nibs from 0.5 to 0.005mm & is 210mmx150mm. I only etch each once so that anything I make from it can't be replicated.

Love your bats too. Glad I can see them now as they're adorable. Reminds me of our garden at dusk, perfectly captured.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Cripple in Heels View Post
    I am simply in awe of you James. He is an amazing Silver Back, literally! I'm less than two years into my journey with silver, but if in 20 years I have half of your skill then I'll be very happy. Whoever ended up with this is very lucky.

Mel
    Thank you for the nice comment Mel, I haven't made much jewellery during my long career as my work has been mostly larger pieces of objet d-art. This brooch was just a present to a workmate for his wife who has a thing about Silverbacks.

James

Oh the bats are wonderful!!! And the star clasp is inspired, as is the curvy swoopy bit. I love everything about this.

What a brilliant creature he is, all that texture, and his little toes gripping the branch. And that eye!! Fab.

Hear, Hear! Bats, Chameleon, Gorilla all absolutely fabulous. So much talent...