Thread: Vibratory Tumbler

Cool Vibratory Tumbler

Hi,

I have a pain problem and am finding sanding quite tough, I am looking for a machine that could possibly do this for me. I currently have a rotary tumbler with shot, but this doesn't remove scratches and even with hand polishing after tumbling the finish still isn't a perfect mirror finish like hand sanding and then hand polishing gives.

I have heard a Vibratory Tumbler Machine (http://www.bellore.co.uk/shop/machinery/gr47786x.aspx) with the right abrasive / cutting media can sand, and then with the right polishing media can give a very high shine mirror finish, a better finish than hand polishing. Is this correct, and what media would you suggest to go in the Vibratory Tumbler?

Thanks,
    Hannah

There are not many here who use abrasive media here Hannah, and of course you could use them in a tumbler too.

As I understand it, the magnetic polisher does the same thing, only faster, and without the texturing effect of needles. I think Shiny Lauren has bought one and her work certainly is remarkably finished. Most of them are rather expensive unless you have the volume of production to justify one, but George has recommended the Bumble Bee as a low cost option.

I hope you will get an answer here, but you might also think of phoning Sutton tools who sell a variety of media and are good with advice. Dennis.

I too would love to find something that will take a rough cast piece through to a polished finished piece. Is there such a thing? How do the big manufacturers do it? The bumblebee is OK, but it doesn't give a mirror shine - more of a matt finish.

I think the simple answer is that most of the big manufacturers do it by taking near-finished pieces and plating them

Mmm, that's what I suspected George

Ooh that could be an option! If I silver plate my sterling silver pendants via tank electroplating, if the solution I use is legit 925... Would the pendants then still assay as sterling silver? And legally can I call it sterling silver? Or would I be obliged to call it silver plated sterling silver?

It's for Steve to give the definitive answer Hannah, but I'm pretty sure that if you plate sterling it will still be hallmarked sterling, as evidenced in all the high street windows.
    Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I was looking for a tumbler to help reduce rsi for smaller items I make... may have to go larger! lol

I found this on Sutton's site. When I called them up, they did themselves a big favour as they explained that there will not be much of a difference and the best polisher to use is a tumbler as it burnishes. The grits and even walnut husks would not make it happen. So I am, as always, back to my tried and tested, discs, silicone, and then polish.

Since I started using Microcloths for sanding, I can get a mirror finish by the time I get to the finest one and if then tumbled find it is dazzling!
    Then I quite often use a brush sanding disc to take the shine down to a satin finish. Too shiny shows up every finger mark.....