Thread: Necklace clasps

Default Necklace clasps

Just joining a necklace together and I started thinking about the clasp...As with zips and shirt buttons, is there a commonly followed "rule" about which side of a necklace the clasp goes on? I'm not even sure I do the same thing each time so I guess I need to pick a side and stick to it!

Lucy

I've often wondered this as well.
    What I decided to do was put the fiddly bit the side of the dominant hand of the wearer.
    Easy for me as I only make stuff for people I know.

I don't know about rules, but as most people are right-handed, I tend to put the clasp on the right hand side. Often, the necklace can be reversed so it can be done up on either side. If I'm making for a comission I always check with the customer.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

I always suggest to clients that they hold clasps specifically so their dominant hand does either specific holding or specific fastening. It works well mostly when undoing and they then comment 'why didn't I think of that?'
    (Luckily most pearl stuff can be either handed)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks for your input guys - I guess there is no standard way of doing it! I'm taking your advice though with the dominant hand thing though.

I am left-handed but have become so used to dealing with the clasp on the right side that it would be awkward to find it on the left! I think all necklaces I have ever bought had a right hand clasp.