Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Noirit......Goodbye Platinol.

Default Hello Noirit......Goodbye Platinol.

My Platinol supply was low, so it seemed a good time to try out Noirit from Cookson. Mention of the N word at the Hatton garden showroom, brought on furrowed brows and a general state of incomprehension, until I explained that it was a new product for blackening silver and would not be in the printed catalogue.

When it was brought up from the store room the litre bottle looked huge compared with my tiny 100ml bottle of Platinol at home. However the Noirit was priced at £22.50 inc. VAT, compared with £16.56 for much less Platinol.

When I enquired about printed instructions or a data sheet I was told that there were none, but I stood my ground and eventually was directed to the Cookson Customer knowledge base online. It was not possible to print this out in the showroom, because the computers were not connected to a printer. (And why was I being such a pain?)

A short trial.

On inspection the two solutions were similar in colour and looking at the data sheets the composition was comparable, except that Noirit contained caustic soda as an added ingredient.
    Both liquids will attack organic substances such as hair and skin, so care must be taken against splashes, particularly when dispensing from a large bottle, and gloves must be worn. If using a brush it should be synthetic.

The results on my silver offcuts were comparable, except that the Noirit appeared to act slightly more slowly. There was no difference in the final colour, but the Platinol sample had a duller surface until rubbed up. As with Platinol, Noirit has only a very slight sulphurous smell when applied and this quickly passes.

My conclusion is that Noirit is good value for money and gives a good result. The litre bottle is rather unwieldy and might last a lifetime if you only use it occasionally. Dennis.

http://portalgc.knowledgebase.net/di...56843936443329
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n1 patination.jpg   n2 Noirit-platinol.jpg  

Cheers for that Dennis.
    You should do that as a cookson youtube video review!

thanks Dennis, that is really useful.......so you wouldn't now dismiss the platinol, but if one was to run out,.....the noirit is at least as good and much better value??

Thanks for the useful comparison Dennis. Where would we be without you!
    Jules

Good job you were not a secret shopper....
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Good job you were not a secret shopper....
    Well I was in a way Wendy. Three people were eventually gathered round to sort out my concerns. They looked at each other and then at me and no doubt thought: what an idiot.

The problem remains: when will this litre of solution be past its useful life? The data sheet indicates that it should be kept cool and in the dark, but if like me you don't use it often, there will be plenty left in five year's time.

Dennis.

Was wondering how this would perform - thanks Dennis. I do love my platinol (although my current bottle will probably last me another 2 years before I'm ready to try something else!)

Many thanks for the review Dennis!

I was wondering, as the product description suggests that the finish doesn't flake off, in your tests, did you find hard-wearing?

Ooh wow! Thanks for this Dennis =D
    Sian Williamson

Now sit back and watch the price of Noirit rise inexorably.