Thread: can someone explain...

Default can someone explain...

The dremel. In very simple terms, as I'm not sure what I've just bought..

I have just bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but there doesn't seem to be a power source?

do I need a chuck like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002SMMY...I2NMIZUR1M91OE

I feel I'm being very thick and haven't thought this through.

Can anyone help? what else do I need to buy?

It looks as if you have bought the attachment only.
    This would be the full kit which also includes what you've just bought and looks better value http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Serie...ef=pd_cp_diy_2
    I don't have one so no doubt someone else will elaborate but at least you would be able to see the options from the link

I dont have a Dremel, but I do have a Foredom which has a flexible shaft. All you have bought is the flexible shaft, it needs a motor to power it. My guess is it would need a 300watt motor to power it as flexishafts take a bit of power to drive them. If you look at the Dremel site, it shows you a Fortiflex system which I think your shaft fits. Sit down when you are doing it though as its nearly £250. You can make jewellery without a flexishaft system, but it takes the hard work out of most jobs. Hope this helps.

I have this. You need to attach it to one of the Dremel drills to power it, I have the 3000. It fits on by slotting over a hex nut screwed to where the chuck would go on the drill. I think the hex nut should come with it, mine didn't (or got thrown with the packaging) and they are not easy to source and it will only work with the hex nut attached.
    You also really need some way of hanging the drill, they do come with hooks, for best results when using the flex shaft.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

I have the Dremel 4000 and this flexshaft that you have bought is an attachment that slots into the drive shaft of the Dremel tool itself. I think it does explain this in the product description:-
    Ideal attachment for precise, detailed work or hard to reach places.
    Comfort grip handpiece allows fingertip control to cut, grind, sand, polish and more.
    Integrated shaft lock button for quick and easy accessory changes.
    127 mm bend radius provides more comfort and flexibility during use.
    Quick connect attaches your Dremel tool in seconds

I am not trying to be clever here but it does pay to read the description carefully before buying - without the actual Dremel tool itself the flexshaft is useless. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, can you return it (otherwise you will have to buy a Dremel 3000 or 4000 to power it)
    Last edited by BarryM; 28-07-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Just wanted to add, before you go buying a Dremel, research your alternatives first. They are okay for just knocking about to start with, but they aren't very controllable due to the speed settings. Things like tube setting are a bit of a nightmare with them, it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. You really need a very low speed to start off with for certain jobs to give you some control. I only really do what I call craft jewellery, and even though I only use copper, it's irritating to damage it with a feisty Dremel. After five months I now find I need something better and more controllable to replace it