Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of firestain

Default Removal of firestain

Grr I have dreaded firestain on my sterling silver jewellery that I have been making -any tips on successful removal or am I going to just have to keep on standing back through the grades until it disappears? It's on a highly polished flat surface and stands out like a sore thumb. Gutted.

Is it true or a myth that if you solder on a charcoal block it prevents firestain by absorbing the oxygen?

Thanks V
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

you could try pickling*? Though I usually end up going through the grades. Those big brown and green radial wheels are pretty good.

*ETA: and heating like a depletion gild.
    Last edited by medusa; 05-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.

I'll look into those wheels but for now I think I'll have to go through the grades. Thanks medusa

There's quite a bit about firescale in the current thread about soldering chains and my comment at the bottom of page one:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6162

Basically if you want to remove it you must do it by sheer hard work. The trouble is that if not completely removed it will show again as you work up to a new shine, so it might take three or more attempts to be finally rid of it. You could give up of course and leave it satin, in which case no one will see it. This is what I elected to do on the shiny part of my Modern London brooch below.

The best tool for removing firescale aggressively, is a Scotchbrite mop such as Cookson 999ACR, but you need to take care to move it around and not press hard, or it will unravel. There are also the new 999DC R, M, & N which look promising, but I have not tried. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ml Modern London Brooch.jpg  

Oh whoops sorry I didn't see your thread - I did search the forum first (not sure tapatalk is all that brilliant for searching for things).

Anyway, one of my very first pieces has a firestain 'blob' on it and the tutor recommended a satin finish to hide it and whether it is because I didn't do a proper job or whether it's because I know it is there, I can see it still a horrible grey shadow and I don't wear the piece ever although it's possibly not just because of the stain but more likely down to not having done a very good job piercing it out to be truthful!

If I have to sit there and remove it through sanding back umpteen times then so be it. I dont really mind sanding/filing it's a pain in the neck when you want it finished ready to wear.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

You can reduce fire stain in many ways. One, is with a coating applied to warmed silver.

I harp on about FM solution, but it is good and just as effective as argotect, and cheaper. Charcoal block has its use, but don't forget to douse it after use as it keeps on burning once the flame has gone.

Thanks Wallace! I'm going into cookies tomorrow I'll pick up a bottle. Do I use it instead of or as well as borax?

Vanessa - it's not something you can buy over the counter, sadly.

http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archi...6/msg01540.htm

Aah thanks for saving me from looking silly! Thanks for the link. So where do I get sodium acid phosphate from?

Here
    lkorghouhkbjiigiubvkabfkjb