Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home business insurance

Vicky, you've missed the point of my answers, and the link I posted. The Guild's gold membership plus INCLUDES your insurance - which has been specifically designed for Jewellery Designers and makers, along with other membership benefits. And still cheaper than other insurers. Another alternative is AIR (a-n), which is extremely competitive provided you can meet their criteria as an artist.

Thank you Caroline, great help.

Thank you George. As I understand it, you pay membership to The Guild or AIR (PL included) then you get option for extra cover incl tools, materials etc?

Yes. I added extra stock and studio cover for a very sensible amount. The underwriters were extremely helpful and are used to dealing with precious metals, both in the form of raw materials and stock. The other benefits of guild membership (particularly the tools discounts) pay for the PPL cover in well under the year for me.

George, would getting the Guild insurance cover my tools and materials if I work from home (if I add this as an extra)? I only work as a jeweller from Friday to Sunday and will have separate general contents insurance for home for normal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    George, would getting the Guild insurance cover my tools and materials if I work from home (if I add this as an extra)? I only work as a jeweller from Friday to Sunday and will have separate general contents insurance for home for normal stuff.
    I find the AN membership cheaper over all to get a bespoke insurance plan. It only costs £36 which gives you the ppl gre and then you can get a policy that covers all your needs for stock, materials and tools. When I first got mine it was under £200 and after 3 to 4 years NBC it was around £125

I did the AN membership version with added cover for several years, but switched to the guild at a time when a couple of large tool purchases made the discount pay for the membership a couple of times over. It's the same underwriter (Hencilla), and I've had only good experiences in dealing with them. I would just give them a ring - they're very helpful on the phone.

I would agree with George about using the Guild. If the regular updates I get are anything to go by, there are a great many jewellers who are members of the Guild now.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I did the AN membership version with added cover for several years, but switched to the guild at a time when a couple of large tool purchases made the discount pay for the membership a couple of times over. It's the same underwriter (Hencilla), and I've had only good experiences in dealing with them. I would just give them a ring - they're very helpful on the phone.
    I have both memberships George and I still find it cheaper. I'd had my AN for a couple of years while the Guild got there's into gear and my NCB is so good now I can't afford to change over. Al at Hencilla said it wasn't transferable unfortunately. They are helpful to work with though

Thanks lovelies. I'll get a Guild membership sorted then as I've got my eye on some tools for later this year anyways.