Thread: Fab day at art in action and a technique question

Default Fab day at art in action and a technique question

I had a fantastic day milling around stopping and chatting and watching makers 'in action'. I felt welcomed by everyone even when they knew I wasn't buying but there to see what I can learn. Some were busy busy so I asked brief questions and moved on. I had a lovely chat with a lady from the enamelling guild and she showed me the various books I could find in the library.

One of the makers had beautiful silver earrings oxidised and dipped in gold. I've seen this on other jewellery before ... I wanted to ask more as it's a lovely technique but customers were loitering and the jeweller was busy soldering chain so I didn't want to interrupt too much esp as I wasn't buying. Can anyone explain to me this technique or at least what it is called? Is this called vermeil ?

Thanks all

Can't wait for art in action 2015

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We had such a busy time too. Lots of questions answered and lots of people to talk to....we're all recovering now

Vermeil is a French term for what we would call silver gilt....in other words it's gold plated silver. I do believe the gold used needs to be of 9ct ct or above and must be of a certain thickness to be considered vermeil....but the gold is deposited via electrolysis. I may stand corrected over the finer details, but as far as hallmarking goes you would still only get a silver hallmark as plating is not counted in the "mixed metal" part of the act.

Oh I see thanks for explaining Steve. I did stop by for a chat and chomped on a chocolate coin with my daughter and my father on Sunday. And we stamped a coin

how exciting!!!! hoped you liked the famous chocolate coins.....they do seem to be people magnets!! If you put a bit of double sided sticky on your coin your daughter (or you!) can wear it as a badge!

Ha ha it has pride of place in her bedroom in amongst her badges and trophies