Thread: blowtorch without a regulator??

Default blowtorch without a regulator??

hello I would like some advice on my blowtorch equipment, I have a blowtorch that can heat to temperatures of 1350c, but i've realised a regulator reduces this as far as I understand so...
    1.) do I need a new regulator that allows a bigger flow of gas to my torch???
    2.) if (1.) isn't needed then how do i connect my hose from my blowtorch without a regulator? can I just connect it directly???? thanks

A few questions, what torch, what gas and what are you going to use the torch for?

I use propane and I would never use it without a cylinder gas regulator, my propane cylinder regulator has a dual gas outlet so I have two torches attached to the one cylinder, a Sievert and a Little torch, the Little torch is also attached to an oxygen cylinder with it's own regulator. With this set up I can cover all torch firing requirements for my workshop use.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 20-07-2014 at 09:28 AM.

I have often wanted to say this and today I will, so forgive me if yo know this already:

Sellers often claim that the flame on their torch will reach a trillion degrees, or whatever. This is not much good taken on its own, because the heat available is more directly related to the size of the burner (the tip) and the type of gas used.

For example, a tiny spark from a party sparkler might measure 900 degrees or more, but it contains so little heat that you can barely feel it on your skin.

Also the flame from a propane cylinder will deliver more heat than the same size flame when burning butane. Dennis.

cheers seems like I need a bigger/more powerful regulator then, although in my old mans workshop I never saw a regulator attached which still leaves me questioning how he attached his directly?

No, I think you need a bigger tip.