Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold reclamation problem!

Yes, we, as well as the other assay offices do a "melt and assay" service, which of course is different from refining. Basically we would melt the crucible into a bar, and then we would assay the bar. (With refining, you extract all the non precious metal and you're left with a bar of fine gold - far more expensive and then of course you'd have the extra headache of alloying the gold down into whatever carat you wish to use!). You'll get a certificate with the bar giving you details of the gold content, and the certificate will have a unique number, which is also stamped on the bar. Bullion doesn't get hallmarked as such as it's exempt from hallmarking, but the cert number stamped on it, which corresponds to the certificate, is what you get instead. You then have the option of "selling on certificate" which means that you don't have to lug the bar around with you, just the certificate, and bullion dealers will buy from the details on the cert. Once you've got the best price, then you can arrange to hand over the bar.
    Just check with whichever assay office you use regarding turnaround times - it's not like hallmarking where you can do the job in an hour if you're in a hurry - most melt and assay work takes several days.

One last thing Nick, which is not sufficiently emphasised. Although the the Post Office or other carrier will happily accept your insurance premium, they will not pay out in case of loss in transit, unless you can certify the value.

This of course proves to be impossible prior to assay. Dennis.

wouldn't a lead crucible just immediately melt if you poured gold into it?

How hard is the non-gold plated part of the crucible? If it's really hard then given how soft gold is maybe scrape the gold off manually and then do the scrap assay and sell thing.

The only solution is chemical treatment... I think.
    Jewelry for today's world,
    Whereby, style following the pattern of traditional world !

Chemical treatment or fire assay, though fire assay is a lot less messy.....not sure if by scraping you would get anything like all the gold off?

Hi Nick

If you would like to bring it to us in Birmingham or Hatton Garden or ship to us in Birmingham we would be happy to test the crucible and advise on the best course of action. I would also reiterate please ensure the parcel is covered by your couriers insurance

rgds
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    I would also reiterate please ensure the parcel is covered by your couriers insurance
    Well I did mention this above, but here it is in full:

The courier will happily accept a premium for any value you choose to declare, but in case of loss they will not pay out unless you can certify the value.

You can't certify the value until it has been assayed.

You can't have it assayed until it is delivered.

It won't get delivered if it gets lost. Dennis.

Many many thanks everyone. Lots of sound advice there and I think I'll take a trip to Birmingham next week to sort it.

Cheers,

Nick

I'd give it a few whacks with a big hammer & see if it dislodges..can't hurt if you keep your fingers clear