Thread: Stamping a silver bangle with lettering

Default Stamping a silver bangle with lettering

This might sound like an obvious question (I am only a beginner though!) but I want to make a bangle from 6mm wide rectangular wire, and stamp some words onto it with the Vintaj letter stamps. Do I stamp the letters on first while it's flat and then form and solder it, or do I solder the ends first, and then stamp the letters on while it's on my bangle mandrel? I am aware that it would be easier to stamp it flat but wasn't sure whether the soldering process might damage or distort the lettering?
    Thanks

Stamp whilst it's still flat. It's much harder to stamp on a curved surface, and the letters can end up being deeper in the middles than edges because of that curve.

The only risk when you solder is if your lettering is too close to the edge being joined. If you use even a bit too much solder, it can end up flowing into the depressions.

No questions are silly

I thought that would be the case. I think I can leave enough space that the solder won't run that far, I just wasn't sure whether the heat from the flame would do something strange to the edges of the letters. Thank you!

I would stamp it whilst it is flat as it will be easier. I also find it helpful to stamp onto paper first (paper strip cut to size) and have it as reference as I stamp my letters.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk