Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making bails from sheet ?

Default making bails from sheet ?

I've made a few st silver bails with 2mm wire, annealed, hammered and twisted over to make tube at the top. I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm better off using sheet st silver ? I know I would need a piercing saw, however, not sure what mm thickness I'd need as I've never worked with sheet before. Also not sure what size sheet to start with for a few bails and maybe a few small square pendants ? Any advice please ?

0.7mm sheet would do for that, but why not experiment with copper first to try out the effect? It would also allow you to decide how much silver to buy.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Base-Meta...prcode-860-236. Dennis.

I would think the size and thickness of the bail would depend on what you are attaching them to. When I put a bail on a pendant it's usually part of the design,once you have a design for a pendant it will be easier to get a feel for the bail

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I would think the size and thickness of the bail would depend on what you are attaching them to. When I put a bail on a pendant it's usually part of the design,once you have a design for a pendant it will be easier to get a feel for the bail
    I've made small, medium and large dichroic glass pendants. One of the large ones I drilled a hole into the glass and have attached a sterling silver jump ring, it looks really nice as the pendant is transparent and so no bail shows behind. However, I love the bails that glue on to the back of the pendants, finish them off really nicely. Expensive to buy so I thought I'd make my own. The ones I've made out of 2mm sterling silver look lovely, but I'd prefer a little more width-wise behind the actual pendant.

Thanx for your reply

To be honest Dennis, once the bail is glued onto the back of the glass with epoxy, it's impossible to get off. I love working with copper, but despite wax, it does tarnish a lot quicker than silver and so not quite the look I want with the glass I've currently made. Thanx very much for the suggestion tho

Hi Snowdrops, I'm not sure that I understand your reply.

Many of us when we have a construction problem, make it in copper first, so as not to add to our silver scrap pot. Having found out how, we then go on to make it in silver.

Metal glued on is very easy to remove again BTW. Hold the bail with tweezers, a little way above a dish or saucer and apply gentle heat from a mini-torch. The pendant will quickly drop off as the glue softens. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrops View Post
    I've made small, medium and large dichroic glass pendants. One of the large ones I drilled a hole into the glass and have attached a sterling silver jump ring, it looks really nice as the pendant is transparent and so no bail shows behind. However, I love the bails that glue on to the back of the pendants, finish them off really nicely. Expensive to buy so I thought I'd make my own. The ones I've made out of 2mm sterling silver look lovely, but I'd prefer a little more width-wise behind the actual pendant.

Thanx for your reply
    Maybe if you could post a few pics of your beads then we would get an idea of what would be best

Thanks Caroline, here's one I made out of 2mm sterling silver wire. Hard work and impossible now I'm just getting over a dislocated shoulder ................ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3562bails.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	6688

Ooh that must be painful, I've had a trapped nerve in mine for months and that pain is awful. You don't realise just what it stops you from doing. It will give you time to do some planning.
    The pendant looks pretty though, I would worry if that's all the width that's behind the stone though for that size of stone

Dear Snowdrops,

Thank you for showing us one of your completed necklaces. Forums thrive on feedback.

Simplicity and economy are what make a piece modern, but Caroline has expressed concern that the support might not be strong enough.

Although it is traditional not to make adverse comments on show and tell, I hope that you will not mind a constructive suggestion. Caroline has said that the supporting metal might not be strong enough for the pendant.

I am sure you have already tested that and found it sufficient, so the unease is in the eye of the beholder. If you had extended the metal and curved it around the bottom, to show the support just slightly, she might not felt the same way about it.

To take an analogy from music: sing Ba Ba Black sheep and stop at Bags. now sing it again and stop at Wool.

I hope you will continue to elaborate on your design and show us the results from time to time. regards, Dennis.