Thread: I need to be educated re saw blades

Default I need to be educated re saw blades

I feel a little embarrassed to ask this but....
    I have always ordered sawblades online quite happily but let's say I enter a shop (which as of September I am more than very likely going to do regularly) and I go to buy saw blades what do I ask for? For example, let's say I went to a jewellery supplies and I want to buy a bundle of 2/0, do I ask for 'a bundle of 2's' or 'a bundle of two stroke zero's?'.

Also, I know the first number (2/-)refers to the size of the blade but what does the second number zero (-/0) refer to?

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

LOL. The 'O' is pronounced 'aught' - make sure you include it as a 2 and a 2/0 are very different beasts indeed!

Blades are sized from 8/0 (the smallest generally available) to 8 - sizes as follows

I did just spot some 10/0's on the Knew Concept site, and my shopping fingers are now itching....

I ask for valllorbe 2 'O's a gross....(or 4 'O's...as purchased today).....but as George has pointed out....the 2s and 2'Os are quite a different beast!!

Sorry folks, this thread seems to have been posted twice, so we are having a thread race. Is this a first?

Mizgeorge are you laughing at me?lol so I wwould ask for a bundle of 2 aughts? I love the net but unless you speak to people you've no idea how things are pronounced.

I don't know how it was posted twice whoops! I appreciate everyone's input on both threads

Not laughing at all V - they're called two aughts. Promise

I may be misremembering, but IIRC from other scales they run 8..1, 0, 00, 000, 0000 etc.
    4/0 is easier than spelling all the digits out.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 22-07-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I may be misremembering, but IIRC from other scales they run 8..1, 0, 00, 000, 0000 etc.
    4/0 is easier than spelling all the digits out.
    You are correct Peter, I have some old packs of saws that have a size ref. of 00000000 (8/0) on the saw bundle labels, by the way did you get the package I sent last week?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350 Wrap from a bundle of 8-0 saw blades.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	6420
    James

Oh I see how Fab is that! now I know I am sure to learn all this and more I certainly hope in September but I like to think I know something before I start ha ha at least now I can say with confidence to a fellow student ah you'll want a 2 aught for that... ha