Thread: Solder for Copper

Default Solder for Copper

Hi - I want to solder a copper bezel onto copper, but don't want to see the solder line. Is there such a thing as copper coloured solder? Cooksons don't have anything & Ebay sells copper soldering wire. Just wondered if anyone has used it in the past & what it looks like when soldered. Thanks guys

It’s been talked about on here a few times Theresa, I’m sure Dennis knows. Have you tried soldering the bezel from the inside with silver solder, not sure how much difference that would make?

Thank you Caroline. I went back over previous threads and found the answer. Didn't think of that before! I'm making a candle holder and wanted to add Turquoise cabs in the Arts & Crafts style. Happy Christmas to all and hopefully a better 2023.

Yes copper coloured solder comes mainly from eastern Europe, and can be found on line. It is quite a high melting solder, and sort of matches, but more brown.
    I didn't go on with it, but tried just to have a good fit, as Caroline said.
    You can also improve on silver solder, by putting the piece into hot pickle that has turned blue from long use, and dropping in an iron nail, or other iron object. This will deposit a thin pinkish plating, resistant to wear, as it is in a deep recess. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cbp 2 Copper Box Project.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Thank you Caroline. I went back over previous threads and found the answer. Didn't think of that before! I'm making a candle holder and wanted to add Turquoise cabs in the Arts & Crafts style. Happy Christmas to all and hopefully a better 2023.
    That sounds wonderful, I love Arts and Crafts pieces. Hope it goes well.

Hi Theresa, I bought some copper to copper brazing rod from B&Q A few years ago … works well with borax … Nick