Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight line punch

Default Straight line punch

Hi

I would like to be able to punch some straight lines onto silver so that I can use platinol and then polish back so just the grooves are dark (think aztec/tribal kind of designs). I'm having problems making the grooves though! I thought I would be able to buy a steel punch with just a line on, but after scouring the internet I can't find one anywhere. I've tried using a screwdriver but this just made a mess, and then I thought a mini steel chisel would do the trick, but the line on that is too fine so that it looks like a scratch rather than a deliberate design. Does anyone know where I can get a punch from or has an idea of a substitute, or just a much better method for what I'm after?

Thanks

We could probably make you a punch?

An idea of what size punch you want would be useful. I make my own punches but you can find quite an assortment on eBay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_...hasing+punches
    or just Google search for chasing line punches;https://www.google.co.uk/#q=chasing+...nches&tbm=shop
    If you are interested in making your own punches you can buy silver steel rods from here; https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-me...l/cat_141.html each length of rod will be enough for three 100mm. punches, just file them to shape or even forge them and grind them, before hardening and tempering for use.

James

That thought had occurred to me Steve, but I thought it might be quite an expensive option for something so simple?

Aha! Thank you James, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for... I was missing the word "chasing" from my searches :/ Thank you so much!!!

James, out of interest, when you say about filing the rod to shape - is that just using ordinary files I would use for silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulabelle View Post
    James, out of interest, when you say about filing the rod to shape - is that just using ordinary files I would use for silver?
    I use standard files for filing the silver steel, when it is bought in rods from the supplier I showed it has not been hardened so it files or grinds OK. If I was making chasing line punches, I would heat the end of a length of rod bright red hot, then hit it with a hammer to splay the end out, then I would heat it again and let it cool on the heat block to anneal it again, before filing it to shape, then I would harden and temper the punch. If you want to know the method of hardening and tempering chasing punches check out the tutorials section, a while back I prepared a photo tutorial on preparing a scorper for use, and the hardening and tempering in this set of photos is the same method as preparing a punch.

This was the tutorial on another forum; http://www.guildofjewellerydesigners...d=28&Itemid=66

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 10-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks, I'll take a look, and maybe even have a go! It would definitely be useful to be able to make my own.

Lucy

The problem with using a chasing punch to make straight lines is that it takes skill and practice to keep the line straight, of even depth and without interruptions.

A less demanding method is to use a watch case knife, or even a short paring knife from the kitchen, apply it horizontally and draw it along while tapping the back with a light hammer. The width of the line can be increased by simply blunting the knife on sandpaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Watch-Case-B.../dp/B004W6IXTS

The leaves in my picture were chased in this way when I was just beginning. The amount of curling of the metal depends on what you chase on. The leaves were done on the cutting board shown. Chased on a metal block the silver would remain flatter. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patinated Leaf Brooches.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-07-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks Dennis, currently I just want to make short lines but as I expand my designs I probably will want to make them longer. Quite why I hadn't thought of a knife I'm not sure, but I think that would work really well. You're right, I think I'd find using a punch to make a continuous line pretty tricky!