Thread: Looking after tools...

Default Looking after tools...

Hello

I'm sure this is quite a stupid question but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to look after my tools?! Beyond buying and using them, I'm completely clueless! I've noticed that some of my files and mandrels are getting a few rust patches which I'm sure can't be a good thing. I'm guessing oil of some description might be involved, but I've no idea what type or how to apply it. So any advice or tips relating to care of any kind of tools would be much appreciated (the more basic the better!).

Thanks

Lucy

I have an old thick bit of cotton that I saturated in oil which I drape over all my stuff. I have files, foredom accessories and pliers all in one area of my bench so can drape over easily. The files are jammed into some kind of styrofoam packaging block (came with the duration mill) which keeps them all separate but easy to get at. the drill accessories are in the revolving round thing that came with it. good tip is to squirt 2 in 1 oil into the holding holes because as I found to my horror they fill up with condensation and rust the ends pdq. I also give everything a squirt over with wd40 if I know I'm not going to be using it for some time. My rolling mill is always lubed up and then wrapped in an oily pertex sheet and then a blanket.

For your files you should have a file brush http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-498
    This will take all the filings and rubbish out and keep them working. If you have a condensation problem, tools used to come in oiled paper, I know the Durston planishing set still does as it took me forever to get it off. You could take some fine emery paper to your mandrel and then a fine oiling.I have a big cotton bag over my rolling mill.
    It all depends really where you are keeping your tools, what the atmosphere is like,they shouldn't really get rusty that quickly if the area you work in is warm and dry I wouldn't have thought

If you can fix the damp air problem, you'll find you don't need to do anything extra.

Thank you all, lots of helpful advice! It hadn't occurred to me that my work room might be a bit damp as it's a new build house.... But of course, that's precisely the problem! They are so well insulated that there are no natural drafts to keep the air moving. I'll make sure to crack the window slightly and might invest in some of those little dehumidifying pots you find in pound shops. The file brush you mention Caroline sounds like a good buy, and I think I'll invest in some 2 in 1 oil too. Thanks again!

In winter I switch on a de-humidifier overnight, but further my workshop is without damp.
    Poor old Les

Chris is absolutely right you need a dry atmosphere difficult if you have a studio in the garden like mine, I have a thermotube in the summer if the weather is damp and an oil filled radiator in winter both on thermostats, I put silicon gel bags in tins where I store punches etc, small tools that are enclosed seem prone to rust and use Legia spray to protect larger tools not WD40. Have not thought about a de- humidifier might get one now I read this thread.

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Chris is absolutely right you need a dry atmosphere difficult if you have a studio in the garden like mine, I have a thermotube in the summer if the weather is damp and an oil filled radiator in winter both on thermostats, I put silicon gel bags in tins where I store punches etc, small tools that are enclosed seem prone to rust and use Legia spray to protect larger tools not WD40. Have not thought about a de- humidifier might get one now I read this thread.

JH
    Wren, my workshop is in the garden, in the past I used a gas heater in winter but that produced condensation, I have solar panels that even in winter provide enough energy for lighting, all my electrical needs and then I use the de-humidifier overnight. I try to maintain a percentage humidity level of around 50% the recommended levels for a home are 50-55%. This week we have had so much rain so I just pop it on overnight for a couple of nights and everything comes back to my desired levels. It is one of the most important equipment pieces I have, because it maintains the integrity of all my other jewellery making tools that should last a lifetime if treated properly.
    Poor old Les