Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holes

Default Holes

I need 3mm holes in 1mm thick copper. I tried one of those powered hole punches from Palmer Metals but it doesn't work on any level - I can't line it up without having someone else to hold the piece for me and then it leaves a mark. I think the question is, is it safe to use a 3mm drill bit with a Dremel if I use a drill stand?

When I need bigger holes drilled in sheet, I usually start off with a 1mm drill bit then use round burrs in increments until I get the hole to the right size. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

I drill up to 2.5mm holes in 1- 1.7mm thickness, which is a bit smaller than you want, but I start with punching an indent, then 1mm and 2mm drill in my foredom with lots of 3in1 oil as lube. I hold by hand on my peg and just drill through until I hit wood. I'd love a drill press but don't have the room for one ~sad face~

I don't think I'd risk going right in with a 3mm bit doing it this way.

Thanks for the advice. I've been using burrs too. Just wondered if there was a better way. I think my biggest drill bit is 2.3mm.

I bought the proxxon bench drill about 18 months ago having done it all by hand for 30 years. I drill up to 5 mm on it after centre punching the metal. I just use OH 3mm drills straight through, he says if you use small drills and work up then there is a tendency for the drill to catch on the hole created by the smaller drill as you work up. I've never had any problems and have never used lube

Thanks Caroline. I'll look for some 3mm drill bits.

If you can't clamp it I would hold it with a duster or glove Carole as sometimes it takes a bit of a grip. I think 1mm thick copper will be fine though

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If you can't clamp it I would hold it with a duster or glove Carole as sometimes it takes a bit of a grip. I think 1mm thick copper will be fine though
    Get into the habit of NOT using rags or gloves when operating machinery with revolving spindles for safety reasons in case they get caught and rip your finger off.

Not very likely with low powered machines but it can still be painful if they get caught.

Even holding work with your fingers is a bad idea in case the drill snags and spins the work round. Clamp it down!

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Get into the habit of NOT using rags or gloves when operating machinery with revolving spindles for safety reasons in case they get caught and rip your finger off.

Not very likely with low powered machines but it can still be painful if they get caught.

Even holding work with your fingers is a bad idea in case the drill snags and spins the work round. Clamp it down!
    I know Alan, fingers rapped! It's just not always possible to clamp it down though and a tight glove is better than a cut finger if the work spins. Well actually I just let it spin, let go of everything and turn the drill off

I too am guilty of not holding things in the proper way, mainly because most things designed for holding work usually leave a mark. OK, next question, what can I use to hold a piece when drilling which won't mark it?