Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello !

Default Hello !

My first day on the forum !!! Very exciting !

I have recently taken some silversmithing lessons (and also a quick lesson in PMC) and am in the process of trying to get to grips with it all. My bedroom now looks like a studio (My husband is thrilled ;-) ) I have a paying-the-mortgage job 4 days a week which means I can dedicate my fridays to this fabulous new hobby (and the weekends to the kids).

I am in the process of filling out the Assay Office forms and I must admit the hallmarking process is the one that is giving me a few worries....cost/time etc.

Thanks for letting me join - I have read over some of the old posts and feel like I have already learnt loads so looking forward to learning more !!

Tell me all your (hallmarking!) worries peppermintpurple!....I'm sure I can help you out.

Thanks Steve ! I am worried that if I decide to sell something the hallmarking cost (and time delay) would make the item much more expensive and I am also not entirely sure of the rules (need to do some reading) eg. If I make a pendant and put it on a chain is it the pendant, or the pandant+chain, that has to weigh below the 7.78g threshold to not need hallmarking etc ? And if I make a silver beaded bracelet where the overall weight is more than the threshold, does this need hallmarking or does it not if the beads individually are not more than the threshold ? And if I were to make personalised handstamped bangles can I hallmark the uncurled blanks (ie make a load of flats, hallmark them then sell after personalising and bending round the mandrel) or does the item have to be finished then hallmarked ? ......sorry, I have so many questions regarding this as I do not want to be at the mercy of trading standards if I get it wrong !

lots of questions!

1. Firstly you need to remember that hallmarking is not an option that you can choose to do/not do....the hallmarking act is law with some rather nasty penalties including fines and jail if you break the rules. Everyone is in the same boat as you regarding charges, so although your goods may be a wee bit more expensive, it won't be half as expensive as a £5000 fine for non compliance!! Remember though the added value in having items marked as you will then be able to describe them as being made of the precious metal they contain, rather than having to describe them as "white metal" or "yellow metal".....

2. Don't worry about time delays. The typical turnaround time is 3-5 working days, but we also have premium overnight, same day and one hour services!

3. The old "pendant and chain" question! Good rule of thumb is that if the pendant comes off the chain without you having to remove fittings etc then it will count as two separate articles and you should treat them accordingly. If you can't take the pendant off the chain, then it's classed as one article and the combined weight of pendant and chain is taken.

4. It's the weight of the entire piece, so your beaded bracelet will include the beads (assuming they're silver)

5. The item does not have to be finished, though we will need to see all the component parts. remember though if you have something hallmarked and then start forming it round mandrels and so on, you may distort the mark.

Keep going with the questions.....

You don't mention where about in the world you are, but if you're anywhere near then you always pop in and we can sit down and go through absolutely everything if that would be easier?

Thanks so much Steve....completely understand that it is not an option, i was thinking more or whether i restrict myself to just not making things over the weight threshold as, like you say, i do not want to get this wrong....but I guess that is unrealistic which is why i am filling in all the paperwork at the moment :-)

So if i did a bracelet which is solely a string of individual 925 beads on some sort of stringing elastic that would need to be hallmarked ? Must admit....i would have assumed not on that one, so glad i checked.

Another question (sorry!) I notice on the forms that there is an assay office at heathrow, is this just for imports or could i use that (as i live near there and would be able to avoid postage costs by dropping off and collecting) but from the research i have done so far it sounds like it is just for items coming into the uk?

Ooh and going back to the mandrel bangle issue...is there a legal issue with distortion of hallmark or is it an aesthetic thing..ie would i be better off forming first then sending ?

Sorry....head is full of questions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ps. I am based in Windsor, so perhaps should just come in one day.....

If the silver beads are non detachable from the elastic then yes it will need marking as the beads combined would form the total weight of the piece.

The sub office at Heathrow does not have a counter service unfortunately - it's designed for handling large quantities of imported goods as soon as they come off the plane.

You would be better off forming before sending in for marking yes.

Always welcome to come in from Windsor Let me know when and I can give you a quick tour round too, to give you a better idea of what's involved

Thanks Steve...i will have a look at work days and school holidays and organise a trip in (prob after my little ones go back in September)..thanks so much for all your help !!! Very much appreciated !!

Hi Peppermint Purple!

I'm another 4 days a week at a proper job, 3 days a week jeweller. Who needs a day off right?! My boyfriend still optimistically refers to my workshop as our spare room, bless him.