Thread: Dremel diamond drill bit

Default Dremel diamond drill bit

Having finally, mostly, perfected the dichroic glass fusing, to a point where I actually have pieces !!!!!! I'm now ready to mount a few. I've glued on a bail, used superglue as there were so many negative and mixed reviews about epoxy resin. Holding really well but unsure this was the way forward !! I have a dremel, my aim is to actually drill into the pieces and double bail them. The technique I know, however, I don't know what drill bit to get for the holes, obviously diamond tipped. Help please ?

Check out these diamond drills, they state that their diamond hollow core drills are good for drilling glass when used with water as a lubricant; http://www.eternaltools.com/diamond-...nd-core-drills
    I have very little experience of drilling glass myself but I use this companies diamond tools for cutting and drilling agates etc. working with the agates submersed in a shallow plastic tray filled with water. Working behind a plastic screen to save getting soaked with water.
    This company sells a good selection of diamond drills and tools; http://www.eternaltools.com/diamond-drills

James

Glues are generally less effective on very smooth surfaces , slow epoxies are stronger than fast epoxies and epoxies are generally stronger than cyanoacrylates (superglues).
    Some epoxies, such as Devcon available from Cookson, are perfectly clear and will not yellow with time.

Also a Dremel is not so easy to manage, so save up for a flex shaft. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-07-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Not sure where you read the negative reviews about using epoxy, but I wouldn't ever recommend superglue - it will become brittle with time, and ultimately will just fail, usually without warning. A properly mixed and used two part epoxy is extremely strong, but there are other options, like E6000. If you get serious about making, some of the more expensive 3M systems are probably the most failsafe.

The Eternal Tools bits are excellent, and they have some great tips for use on their site. James is absolutely right, always drill under water, and clear the drill regularly to allow fresh cold water to flow into the hole. Work slowly, especially with larger sizes. I'm not sure what you mean by double bailing, but if you're planning to use metal, you need to be careful about sharp edges on the glass.

You'll find a lot more information about this, and most other aspects of fusing and turning pieces into jewellery (as I've mentioned to you before) over on Frit Happens.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of the perfected pieces. I'm impressed that you've got to that point so quickly - many people spend months, even years, before they're happy with what they're producing.

I applied to join Frit forum after your post, however, there's been no confirmation email returned by admin. Therefore can't post sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post

(as I've mentioned to you before) over on Frit Happens.

Thanx everyone for the advice.

Check your spam filters snowdrops - your account is there, approved and active. Even without the email, you should be able to log in with the id and password you chose when you registered.