Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is there a "wrong" in creativity?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I used to work in a local upmarket hippy/ethnic retail store, and the mark up on stuff they bought was well over 400%. I'm not sure if that was standard practice or they were just greedy.
    Ultimately, once the mark-up has reached the figure a shop or gallery needs to sell your things at to make money, any more on top of that comes down to how much profit they want to make. There's no law against making very big profits, as long as no fraud or other criminal activity is involved.

Jewelley isn't marked up as much as a lot of thing in shops, but it is relatively expensive to begin with.
    If your paid upfront, then that's it.
    If not then sometimes you'll have to wait a long time for a sale if they want add a lot, whereas they could make a little less more often ( I would think ).

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    When "mark-up" is mentioned, together with figures of 100% plus, presumably we're talking about shops and galleries buying your merchandise from you outright and then advertising it for sale with these sorts of big mark-ups?

If I've sold my handiwork outright to someone, I consider it the buyer's privilege to advertise it for sale at whatever price he wants, whether it is 10% higher or 1000% higher than what he paid me for it. The only stipulation from my direction would have come at the time the buyer bought my merchandise from me: he would have paid me a price I was happy with or he wouldn't have got the goods. If I found that a shop or gallery was consistently managing to sell my stuff at a 100% mark-up or more over what it had paid me, I wouldn't feel aggrieved at it; I'd simply know that there was some leeway for increasing the price I charged shops and galleries when I sold my goods to them in the first place, and the price I would settle for when I sold my stuff to them would go up accordingly.

Am I misunderstanding what's going on here?
    From the figures I was giving those mark ups are on SOR, if they were buying outright then they can price as high as they like but if they are likely to give it back if it doesn't sell then you aren't in the best postion

I wasn't suggesting the jeweller should undercut the point of sale, necessarily; part of the consideration of the perceived expense was just how much the artisan was getting as a fraction of the value. Where I have seen artisans selling directly as well as through galleries, the prices have usually been very much directly comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    I wasn't suggesting the jeweller should undercut the point of sale, necessarily; part of the consideration of the perceived expense was just how much the artisan was getting as a fraction of the value. Where I have seen artisans selling directly as well as through galleries, the prices have usually been very much directly comparable.
    Yes I have to agree, that is what I have found up here. It is no longer considered acceptable to get work any cheaper from the artist, customers are just keener to give you the higher profit. I was having to send some visitors to a local gallery that was also stocking my work during the OS and I was getting the nudge from a couple that they would come back and buy it from me!

If you're selling work directly and in galleries (or elsewhere for that matter) it's considered professional and good etiquette to have only one price on the work no matter where it is purchased. Really good galleries are notoriously difficult to get in, often it's on recommendation from another artist in their "stable", and it soon gets around if you're a bit difficult or undercutting anyone.

I only have experience of galleries via my pictures, not jewellery, and have always been more than happy with 40-50% commission, because the benefits of being there, for me, far outweigh the costs. I'm happy to not have to do any selling myself at all if I can get away with it! One thing I won't do now is put work anywhere that wants money from me upfront to do so, rather than commission only. I've done that, and the shop involved had no incentive to sell anything, every time I visited I got a list of excuses why my work wasn't selling, and I never saw a customer in there, just more people wanting to rent space based on the daily Facebook posts about how the place was "buzzing".