Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a "wrong" in creativity?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I came across a P website recently and was aghast at the prices for all their jewellery and that was even on a discounted site. It's so much more expensive than any bespoke pieces I make but it sells like hotcakes. Explain that!
    It's entirely to do with marketing - with selling an image and selling it on a big scale. If there's a niche for the product (there's always a niche for affordable jewelry) and it enters the public consciousness as a fashionable and therefore desirable item, soon everyone will want one. P undoubtedly spend sizeable sums of money on maintaining their image and making sure it gets exposure. The calibre of their jewelry is a relatively unimportant part of their business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    It's entirely to do with marketing - with selling an image and selling it on a big scale. If there's a niche for the product (there's always a niche for affordable jewelry) and it enters the public consciousness as a fashionable and therefore desirable item, soon everyone will want one. P undoubtedly spend sizeable sums of money on maintaining their image and making sure it gets exposure. The calibre of their jewelry is a relatively unimportant part of their business model.
    I'm afraid that's true about the calibre and sadly people are like sheep when it comes to fashion. It amazes me that a bead or charm for their bracelets start around £80 up to hundreds when they could have something individual.

My explain that was more an exclamation of exasperation than a need for an answer but thanks anyway Aurarius
    Last edited by CJ57; 24-07-2014 at 01:12 PM.

The P bracelets & beads make me want to cry.
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    The P bracelets & beads make me want to cry.
    Not in a good way I take it Sian

is Pandora a bit like Voldemort?

I'm always staggered at the popularity of pandora beads. I actually had a close look at some (on the pretext of buying) and was pretty shocked at how little you get in terms of weight, design and finish. I suspect that their popularity is down to the fact that if you have someone you love but are too lazy or unimaginative (or the recipient is awkward) then a 'luxe' gift that can be returned to twice a year is the gift that keeps on giving (for the giver, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post

I'm always staggered at the popularity of pandora beads. I actually had a close look at some (on the pretext of buying) and was pretty shocked at how little you get in terms of weight, design and finish. I suspect that their popularity is down to the fact that if you have someone you love but are too lazy or unimaginative (or the recipient is awkward) then a 'luxe' gift that can be returned to twice a year is the gift that keeps on giving (for the giver, anyway).
    He he! I was just following suit, thought we maybe weren't allowed to advertise. Although it has to be said to anyone with artistic skill they are the demons child.
    They are stocked around here at farm restaurants but I've never asked to take them out of the case for a feel. As you say Liz it's an easy present for someone to give, a bit like candles! I was shocked at how many fancy candles I have in a massive basket which I can't use incase the cat sets her tail on fire. Maybe I should give them as presents

It's all potluck unless you have £'s backing & even then It's a gamble.
    There are millions of home jewellers
    With talent that will never see light of day unfortunately..just is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post

I didn't want to say the name as I wasn't saying anything particularly nice about them and I wasn't sure about advertising* and what not on here
    Husband and I did glance in the aforementioned shop today, I told him I'm more than happy to have the equivalent of the £314 bracelet in the window in tools........he went strangely silent and passed onto the next shop!

*(other expensive beads are available)

I don't think It's a good idea to slag off any brand names or anyone even if you are straight thinking (I'm like that).
    Especially if they are doing way better than you could dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I don't think It's a good idea to slag off any brand names or anyone even if you are straight thinking (I'm like that).
    Especially if they are doing way better than you could dream of.
    It's a bit of a can of worms isn't it? I'd agree about not saying things out of sour grapes, however I do think there should always be debate, opinion and critique, because it's good for growth. There's a tendency now to not critique anything, especially handmade stuff, and it doesn't really do people any favours sometimes. The thing of no critique is that nothing is special anymore because everything is