Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a "wrong" in creativity?

Having thought about this for the past couple of days I'm convinced a lot of my perception of wrong in my own work comes from school, I was punished quite heavily for thinking outside the box, particularly in art. Luckily tenacity in the face of failure is one of my better personal traits! Maybe I need to think twice about chucking stuff, I'm going to trademark the wonky pendant concept as it seems to be a hit with teenagers!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    Having thought about this for the past couple of days I'm convinced a lot of my perception of wrong in my own work comes from school, I was punished quite heavily for thinking outside the box, particularly in art. Luckily tenacity in the face of failure is one of my better personal traits! Maybe I need to think twice about chucking stuff, I'm going to trademark the wonky pendant concept as it seems to be a hit with teenagers!
    Emma we all have boxes of stuff that didn't go quite the way we wanted or off cuts from past pieces. I recently used an off cut from a brooch I made for my degree show in 1979 on a pendant I was making and it sold right away. Just shows never throw things out!

I have exactly the same experience.
    Recently I've made mini series of three pieces and the one which I almost threw away was the most succesfull one.
    I try to mix stuff which sells well with stuff I like in some reasonable ratio. But it is quite frustrating when something I really love has no appreciation and something really usual and not interesting at all makes my bestsellers.

I agree with Sandra about the piece being made well but then anything goes. I try to work with a mixture of good selling cast patterns that I've made over the years and I know sell well but also enjoy making more individual pieces too. Sometimes they don't come out as I thought they would but they still find an owner.I have to say I usually like what I make even if I wouldn't wear it, I think it would be hard to make something that you actually disliked. I think we always see the faults as Peter says.

I remember it very well Dennis.It was so hard to believe that a businessman would say such a thing about his own firm and be recorded doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Remember Gerald Ratner? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner.

Dennis.
    Yes, I remember him too. He gave a valuable lesson to the jewelry-buying public, but was not rewarded for his honesty.

I also remember Gerald Ratner. I can't help feeling a bit sad that we are losing true artisan skills like hand engraving as a lot of people prefer to buy something such as was on offer in Ratners, because it's so cheap it's practically disposable. It all seems such a waste of talent and natural resources somehow. That said, I also can't understand the craze for the bracelets beginning with P, they aren't cheap but seem something of nothing design wise, more paying for the brand and posh packaging. It's a bizarre world sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaC View Post
    I also remember Gerald Ratner. I can't help feeling a bit sad that we are losing true artisan skills like hand engraving as a lot of people prefer to buy something such as was on offer in Ratners, because it's so cheap it's practically disposable. It all seems such a waste of talent and natural resources somehow. That said, I also can't understand the craze for the bracelets beginning with P, they aren't cheap but seem something of nothing design wise, more paying for the brand and posh packaging. It's a bizarre world sometimes!
    I came across a P website recently and was aghast at the prices for all their jewellery and that was even on a discounted site. It's so much more expensive than any bespoke pieces I make but it sells like hotcakes. Explain that!

I know, it is madness because I'd much rather have a special bespoke piece that I could cherish than something everyone else has. I was astonished to find a P shop in King's Lynn when I went to the dentist, anyone who knows around here it's very rural and the last place you'd expect to sell stuff of that kind of value regularly enough to maintain a high street shop.

I don't think people appreciate something special as much now though. Hot cross buns are available 365 days a year, Thorntons chocolates used to be special but now you can buy them in Tescos. Things aren't the same as they were when individual was more appreciated I suppose, it's all trends, follow the crowd, get a celeb photographed in your stuff then everyone will want it. Interestingly my teenage nieces both had P bracelets but got bored and sold them on quite quickly.