Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Just a quick note to say hi to everyone!

I'm Lucy, and live in Devon. In 2012 I had to give up my job working with young offenders after developing an auto-immune condition which has left me with a slightly dodgy leg and the power to nap most afternoons! However, not being able to work as an employee anymore (due to the napping skills) presented me with the opportunity to follow my love of pretty things and I've spent the last year teaching myself silversmithing alongside a few evening classes. I've cobbled together a mini workshop in the spare room and i'm now at the point where i have to put my grand plan into action and actually start selling stuff! Its completely terrifying and exciting all at the same time and I pretty much have no idea where to begin, but I'm sure i'll find my way. I registered for my hallmark last week which was step 1, step 2 is now to get on and make things... not sure what step 3 might be just yet, but suggestions and advice of any kind are much welcomed

I look forward to chatting and learning as much as I can from all you clever people!

Lucy

Hi Lucy and welcome. Exciting times for you. It looks as if you are going in the right direction one step at a time. If you can afford to, go with the flow, decide what you might want to make that gives you enjoyment to begin with and once you have a body of work to sell then think about a fair or even a FB page is a good place to start. FB is maybe a better option as you can dip in and out anytime of the day or night. Napping at a fair is a bit of a problem and I understand the lack of stamina all to well Many also start off selling on an etsy page to test the waters. Good luck with it all. There will be lots of advice on here. Caroline

Welcome
    Jewelry for today's world,
    Whereby, style following the pattern of traditional world !

Hi Lucy. Not sure I can offer any better advice than Caroline gave. Your own website would also be a good idea though it's difficult to get it off the ground without a lot of backup from social networking.

Thanks Caroline, fb and etsy are both on my agenda for starting out. I'm very lucky in that my partner runs a brilliant design agency, however, actually pinning him down to help me with even a basic logo is proving more difficult than I anticipated!! I've told him that his branding wizardry is absolutely vital... but I think i'm treading close to the border of nagging territory!

What is it they say about shoemakers bairns,always the last to get attention. Good luck with the logo, that is something I don't have maybe I should ask your OH

HI, welcome and good luck!!!

Hi Lucy, I also live in Devon, Exeter to be exact, where are you based. There are a couple of Devonians on here, one is in Crediton but I cant remember where the others are. Good luck with the logo etc. I am only a hobbyist, but sell a fair bit at craft shows etc, enough to pay for my efforts anyway.

Hi Lucy and welcome. Part of stage three will be to air your problems here. We don't mind being nagged at all. Dennis.

Hi Patstone, I'm in Torquay, where i've just noticed it is hailing on all my washing! Make that thundering! No chance I'm going out to retrieve that now! Anyway, I digress! I would love to know about the craft fairs you go to, are they all local?

Thanks for your welcome Dennis, I can guarantee I have a million and one questions for you all, but I'll try and drip freed them Thanks again for welcoming me everyone.