Thread: ?what stone (or not) is this?

Default ?what stone (or not) is this?

Hello

I popped to a local street market today and spotted the following stones. The lady 'looking after the stall' said she didnt know what the stones were but knew they were all defiantly gemstones. I didn't pay very much for them -£2 for 5 stones- I know what 3 of them are but not these ones.

I am thinking that maybe this one is aventurine as it's black and is like the stars at night (if so it's man made is it not and therefore not a gemstone? ) if anyone can help I'd be grateful.... picture quality is not the greatest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404601922556.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	6379

And what about this one... it's actually purple in colour again picture quality is poor ..sorry!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404602147040.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	6380

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The first one looks like a piece of blue goldstone (a type of manmade glass); the second looks like a banded agate.

Thanks just as I thought then really. It was only 40p I can't moan about it.

My daughter made a pendant with one like your black/navy stone and it looked beautiful. She wire wrapped a couple of strands around it and made a flower shape with the wire in the middle. I didnt know it was a manmade stone though.

I picked them out to practice setting them. They aren't very big so could be pendant or large ring. I love the sparkley one too.

Last edited by Vanessa; 06-07-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Good luck, would love to see when finished.

Thanks will do.

Can't make out the first stone too well, but the second one I'm confident is banded agate. If it's a purply colour then it's probably been stained, as they are usually naturally greyish or brownish I think.

Thanks steveLAO. I couldn't get the photo any clearer than that... but it's black/navy blue with lots of sparkley bits looks like a perfect night sky. I think its Goldstone as aurarius says. I love it though regardless of whether it's manmade or not