Thread: Straight line sawing

Default Straight line sawing

Hi all,
    I did a search but couldn't find my answer, the problem I have is some blades 0/2 seem to cut off to one side, so I'll change the blade and normally it's ok, now is it the blade? The saw? Me?
    Thanks

Hi Beardsmithy you might want to say hello to us and introduce yourself welcome to the forum
    There are some experts with a saw on this forum and I'm sure James will be happy to advise. Sawing is something we have all had problems with at one point or often still and practice would appear to be what makes perfect! It could well be all of the above, cheap saw blades or just a rubbish day

Quote Originally Posted by Beardsmithy View Post
    Hi all,
    I did a search but couldn't find my answer, the problem I have is some blades 0/2 seem to cut off to one side, so I'll change the blade and normally it's ok, now is it the blade? The saw? Me?
    Thanks
    I'd say a saw blade would cut off to one side for only one reason: because the blade is twisted slightly in the saw frame. Have you had a good luck at the offending blades through a loupe when they are set up in the frame?
    Ed. Er, I mean a "good look".
    Last edited by Aurarius; 02-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.

It really depends on the quality of your saw blades, I use Glardon Vallorbe jewellers blades and find them very reliable. Also the tension of the blade in the saw frame is important and of course a decent saw frame and steady bench peg helps.

I look forward to seeing some of your work.

James

Have you checked that the top and bottom ends of your saw frame are absolutely inline vertically? I had one frame that twisted and therefore the blades were in effect at an angle......drove me nuts until I worked it out and straightened the frame!! Other than that......as James has said

Both these hints are absolute no nos to experienced piercers, but to begin with, if you have done all of the above and you still can't follow a straight line, then:

1. Scribe two lines very close together and saw between them.
    2. Lean the saw slightly forward for this.

Also one of James' prize hints, which has not been mentioned yet: don't saw from front to back, but more from side to side, so that you see better
    where you are going. Dennis.

Thank you everyone, I think from your answers it the cheap blades, thing is I'm worried of spending money on expensive blades just for them to break as often as cheap ones, £3 for 144 blades for 1 in 3 to be ok seems a good bet, I might invest in a Knew saw frame though

Don't know if this works for sawing, but for cutting (engraving ect) if you cut next to the line rather than on it, that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardsmithy View Post
    Thank you everyone, I think from your answers it the cheap blades, thing is I'm worried of spending money on expensive blades just for them to break as often as cheap ones, £3 for 144 blades for 1 in 3 to be ok seems a good bet, I might invest in a Knew saw frame though
    Now there is something you will find much talk about, the Knew Concept. There are some quite heated debates, it's very much a love or hate piece of kit! And you would definitely need to use Vallorbe blades for a KC

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Both these hints are absolute no nos to experienced piercers, but to begin with, if you have done all of the above and you still can't follow a straight line, then:

1. Scribe two lines very close together and saw between them.
    2. Lean the saw slightly forward for this.

Also one of James' prize hints, which has not been mentioned yet: don't saw from front to back, but more from side to side, so that you see better
    where you are going. Dennis.
    I can confirm that sawing from side to side rather than front to back absolutley works; after 15 years I re-addressed this technique and it makes life so much easier. I think you put too much strain on the blade because you push without trying rather than let the blade do its work. Glardon or Bergeon blades for me.
    Poor old Les