Thread: Boot Sale finds

Default Boot Sale finds

I found a few nifty little items at a boot sale last weekend, however in my excitement I didn't realise somehow that the measurements were not in mm. The magnifier will at least come in handy though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	6371

They are fun to have and add gravitas to your tool collection, but if you really want to measure wire, sheet and gemstones, you can't do better than these electronic callipers for around £12, Sandra.

All you need to remember, is to press zero each time you start. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-07-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Sandra, if that is an imperial micrometer then you can use this chart to find some useful metric sizes. The micrometer will give you inch decimal sizes, these were all we used in the early days before metrication.

Name:	Conversion chart inches to mm.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	6372

James

[QUOTE=Goldsmith;68180]Sandra, if that is an imperial micrometer then you can use this chart to find some useful metric sizes. The micrometer will give you inch decimal sizes, these were all we used in the early days before metrication.

Name:	Conversion chart inches to mm.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	6372

I inherited a couple of imperial micrometers James, I never could work out how to use them at College, imperial or metric. Maybe it was just my young brain that didn't compute, perhaps if someone sat down with me now I might get it!

sometimes you can found good things there.i went once to scrap metal yard and they offered me Durston rolling mill and i got it for £30 so keep your eyes on places like that :-)

Somewhere between having marbles and losing them.

If you're on Facebook, most areas have a local selling page, I've found them brilliant. I bought 3 different size rawhide mallets and two texturing hammers for a fiver today. Made my day. There are definitely bargains to be had when it comes to tools.
    Using Tapatalk

Nifty wee tools there We went last weekend to a boot faire, for the first time in a few years. I didn't find many tools that were use-able but did find loads of fake sterling silver "antique" items. It's questionable whether the sellers knew they were fake but they were selling them as sterling silver. It was mainly silver cutlery with "hallmarks" and EPNS or EP after the "hallmarks" (electro plate nickel silver & electro plate). One that really pee'ed me off was a large spoon for £70 as sterling silver with hallmarks and bone antler handle. Well, I've handled plenty of deer antler in my time and I can confidently say that particular handle was definitely plastic, even the weight was all off - and yep the "hallmark" was also a made up set of symbols with EPNS at the end =( Sad times x
    Sian Williamson