Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on mouth blown torches please.

What about an orca? Propane (large bottle or MAPP size with an adapter). Interchangeable heads for different size flames and pretty good oomph without having to go down the oxygen route.

Dennis.

Good point.

That was one of the reasons I asked whether the torch head was interchangable between the two gas sources or whether I needed two torches, one for each gas source.
    (I just do not know if it is recommended to swap torch heads between gas supplies).

Not an option to purchase two torch handles.
    Mmmm...propane hotter, butane cleaner?

Also, how does the butane flame of a mouth blown torch compare to that of the micro torch flame?...as that is what I am hoping to replace, but with a bit more oomph...
    Dilemma...

mizgeorge.

Thank you.

Stuck with what I've got...propane bottle and butane bottle with appropriate regulators, and possibly a lot of heavy breathing.
    Got to stick with basic stuff where possible.

(Rothenberger only unit I know of with disposable oxygen cylinders, with good hot flame, also with micro weld type nozzles...nice...but bottles not cheap...and not so convenient for me to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It might be worth mentioning here that a propane flame is substantially hotter than a butane one of the same size.
    It depends where you look for the figures, but when I've researched this in the past I'm sure I came to the conclusion there was bugger all difference in flame temp burning in air?

Well Martin I can't quote any figures, but I am convinced by two examples empirically:

I use hand held torches at home, intended for plumbing. When the company changed from butane to a propane butane mix I was instantly able to solder larger pieces, such as belt buckles, without resorting to a lower temperature solder.

At the college I attend, we used Sievert torches with propane for years and the medium burners proved inadequate for larger pieces until they changed to propane, which worked much better, presumably because it was hotter burning? Dennis.

Well Martin I can't quote any figures, but I am convinced by two examples empirically:

I use hand held torches at home, intended for plumbing. When the company changed from butane to a propane butane mix I was instantly able to solder larger pieces, such as belt buckles, without resorting to a lower temperature solder.

At the college I attend, we used Sievert torches with propane for years and the medium burners proved inadequate for larger pieces until they changed to propane, which worked much better, presumably because it was hotter burning? Dennis.
    Hi Dennis.
    I can't argue with you experiences, I've only ever used propane with oxygen or butane on its own.
    PS - go to bed :-)

May I jump in here, I used mouth blown torches for the first 10 years of my career, and I still have them for use when I run out of oxygen, I started off using a hooked blowpipe and a Birmingham sidelight. Looking at the Cookson LPG gas blowpipes, I might treat myself to a new model.
    Something that no one has mentioned is that you can link a small electric blower to these torches, this was something that was introduced to professional workshops in the mid 1960s. I have a small blower that was meant for a small airbrush which works well with my torch, but any small air compressor will work, just make sure it is a silent running model. Flamefast work with the benchmakers Emir to produce this jewellers bench which has a silent running electric blower unit attached, which supplies air to two torches. See; http://flamefast.co.uk/heat-treatmen...llery-benches/

This was my master using his blowpipe and side light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001a- P&B Workshop 1967.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	6364

James

Like Dennis after we modernised we moved on to a sievert and that is the torch I've had for 35 years and I use it for everything rarely Changingthe burner from the medium one that suits most needs

Do the mouth blown torches require any maintenance/cleaning?
    Low pressure regulator?/variable regulator?
    Last edited by noname; 04-07-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Addition.

Mouth blown torches do not require cleaning, but the end of the blow tube needs a cleanable mouth piece, I made my mouthpiece from a length of silver tube.
    On my propane cylinder I use an adjustable twin outlet regulator, but once I had set it for a soft flame it never got re adjusted. Having a twin outlet allows me to run two torches from the same cylinder.

James