Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on mouth blown torches please.

Default Info on mouth blown torches please.

Info on mouth blown torches required...options?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

what sort of options are you looking for?

buying? General interest? Does anyone use them? How do you use them? Is it a more practical solution.......?
    Last edited by Wallace; 30-06-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Hi noname,

Mouth blow torches allow you to use soft and smoky flames from a gas burner, or a spirit burner to do light soldering jobs. Unless you grew up with one you are unlikely to persist, because you can get the same effect with less effort from a hand held mini torch, filled with lighter gas.

I hope you are enjoying our forum, as a gathering of like minded people and post your own experiences for us. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held MiniTorch.jpg  

Purchase. General purpose small scale bench stuff. Practical advice on use. For example; basic stuff...is the head interchangable between propane bottle and butane bottle gas, (suitable regulator on each bottle, propane regulator for propane bottle, butane regulator for butane bottle), or is the head strictly one or the other? Does it burn with a yellow flame whilst sitting, or is it just on or off? Etc...

Hello.... de funked too many micro torches (leaky etc). A large bucket of sand is useful. Currently running off propane bottled gas with needle flame head.
    Might go with butane as it may be cleaner for indoor use?
    Last edited by noname; 30-06-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Addition.

Having begun my training back in 75 with a blow torch for all jobs and no other option until we moved to the new building the following year I have to ask why you would want to use one? It's hard work really and I wouldn't have the puff anymore!

Why do I want to use one?... I can not find a suitable alternative, but have not used one before!... What is a good length for the torch to mouth hose? Please.
    The micro torch that Dennis suggested has been most suitable for most of the small stuff, but I was hoping the mouth blown torch would provide a little more "oomph" at the appropriate moment! Also I will have to use it as my main torch.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I would imagine, in a power cut and you get your circular breathing just right, this is an absolute bonus.

They are of course more economical than using a little smith with an oxycon generator. Torch to mouth hose, I last used was about 2-3 feet long with a little mouth pipe.

That of course was one of the considerations with the dilemma of propane or butane...as the butane bottle is for the cooker! Seriously...
    Then at least I can still use the propane to solder with.

Thank you.

Jubilee clips at regulator/gas bottle end, and torch end on butane?!
    Cookson catalogue (2012/13) diagram shows one clip only, at regulator end!

It might be worth mentioning here that a propane flame is substantially hotter than a butane one of the same size.