Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory wire

Question Memory wire

Hi All,

I recently bought some ring-sized memory wire to make wine glass charms and anything else I can think of. Have any of you used memory wire before? What do you think of it guys.

thanks
    Jules

It makes some nice necklaces (if you get the necklace size) and I have several bracelets (which I bought not made) with hundreds of seed beads which I love when I want a bit of glitz!

I saw these not so long ago made with Memory Wire... really beautiful!

Wow, thanks for the link Bijou, they're really lovely pieces...I'll definitely practice with the memory wire....

Sorry for the slow reply... I've been busy gardening, but will get back to my beads on Monday. I don't know about others but once I start making stuff, I can't stop!

J

Yes, lovely stuff on her etsy website Nicola thanks! When I see things like this I always try and work out how it is done I think I can see some clues, but would be useful to see some of those 'CarolAnn' patterns!

Default Memory wire ...bleeeggghhhhh!!

Hi Jules, I bought some memory wire a while back but it is just SO tough to work with!! I am a bit of a wimp - and I have weak thumbs - so I decided I would stick with well annealed silver wire thank you very much!! I have to admit - those were stunning bracelets on that link earlier in this thread tho!!
    Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I've found it a real pain to work with memory wire, too. I thought it was me not using the correct techniques So does annealed silver wire do the same thing then?

Trouble is everything I see on this site makes me want to enroll on lots of courses to make really beautiful/unusual pieces. I feel such a novice, but we all have to start somewhere, don't we!

Jules

I love other peoples memory wire creations but I can't be doing with it...
    once broke some really good cutters on it before I learnt you're better
    off with memory wire cutters.

Those pictures on the link earlier in the thread were gorgeous!
    Nic xx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I use my memory wire shears for cutting silver wire as it shears nice and clean and doesn't leave that pinched point that proper wire snips do!

Not good for getting close to pieces but for cutting lengths of wire it's great!

Red face memory wire

Hi Jules, I have to admit I'm not a fan of memory wire. I struggle with it and when I glue end caps on they just seem to fall off! Also if your beads are too heavy the whole thing sags and just doesn't look right. Good luck with yours and let me know how you get on!!!

xxx justlulu

Default You need strong wrists for memory wire!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Barbara,

I've found it a real pain to work with memory wire, too. I thought it was me not using the correct techniques So does annealed silver wire do the same thing then?

Jules
    No, I'm afraid not!! It is totally the opposite really as fine silver - even when work hardened or tumbled is still rather soft compared to other metals. I use it to make decorative chains - and I rarely go anything finer than .7mm wire and more usually .9mm - so they work up to be fairly substantial chains! Great for use with pmc and ACS work - which, in my humble opinion, looks odd on flimsy commercially made chains. I've found fine silver to be too soft for making earwires though, so I have just bought some Argentium silver - from Cooksons of course!! - as they are the only supplier in the UK - and I have found that to be quite robust! It is said to be very tarnish resistant but otherwise has the same drawback of sterling silver when working with it...as in needing soldering and pickling etc, etc. Having worked with fine silver and enjoyed the thrill of working with a metal that doesn't oxidise and discolour on heating and fuses without the need for solder - I'm not tempted to go back to those processes unless Ihave to!! As I said, it works really well for earwires - which just need shaping!!

Back to the thread though... I don't think there is anything that compares to the springyness of steel though - memory wire is unique - and I think you are either born to be able to handle it or not!!!