Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flake-free black coating on silver

Default Flake-free black coating on silver

Hi,

I'd like try adding a flake-free/adhesive black coating on some fine silver/Sterling silver pieces and wondered if anyone could please recommend the best way to do this. I've heard that platinol gives a nice deep colour but am wondering that like Liver of Sulphur, if it will flake/rub off with wear.

I see that Cooksongold are now stocking Noirit Black Oxide which looks promising, but can find no information out there on the interwebs as to the kind of results it produces. Has anyone here tried this product as I'd be really interested on your thoughts about it?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi V,

welcome back.

I can only find limited info including the heimerle-meule (cookson's) Link

Thanks for the 'Welcome', Wallace!

I saw the Heirmerle-Meule link as well - but I can't seem to find any info online of anyone actually using it for oxidising silver/copper jewellery.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

you are most welcome.

I am wondering then, is it due to this being a newer resource to this field? If it is, time will bring results no doubt.

Well it looks as if you will have to pioneer the Norit and hopefully, post the results.

Obviously all coatings will wear through if rubbed enough, but with the other agents, including Platinol, the secret of success is to let the colour develop slowly, by diluting them and using them cold. This avoids the flaking.

Another problem is that solder does not darken as well, so a patch of spilled solder will show as being lighter. So far nothing will patinate silver beyond a rich gun metal grey, so for black only a laquer would do, but that rather defeats the object of using a precious metal. Dennis.,

Yes.. it seems I might have to have a go with this Noirit solution - I'll do some more research and see if I can find out any more information on it.

I really like the matte, black oxidation you see on some of the contemporary jewellery pieces, especially, if the only a part of the piece is treated - it creates a good contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by vsilvered View Post
    Hi,

I've heard that platinol gives a nice deep colour but am wondering that like Liver of Sulphur, if it will flake/rub off with wear.
    I've never had LoS flake off. I do tend to use it on textured surfaces rather than highly polished ones though. What sort of surfaces are you having problems with?

I've never had platinol flake either and as I've probably said I sometimes progress the process by running the back of it under a hot tap. If you put of on meat with a cotton bud I have got it nearly black. Just to show contrast, this was neat platinol on both
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	6262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	6263

Hi medusa,

I know LoS works well in the recesses of metal pieces as I have used it before however. Here is a fine silver ring made from silver metal clay, where I used it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	los-ring-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	6266 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	los-ring-2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	6267

I'm now looking for a product that will give a full black matte coverage that won't rub/flake off. If it can retain it's full coverage black colour on polished metal, that would be great too!

hmmmm getting something that won't wear off is a bit of an ask, really. Any surface which is exposed to skin or clothes rubbing it will eventually wear down. Even patinated bronze will lose its colour in time.